Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DC CASE Horsepower?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenn F.

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject: DC CASE Horsepower? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We've never had our '51 DC dynoed (Dad bought it new). It's got the factory high compression head (standard on a '51) and 4" pistons. What horsepower do you suppose it hass? It's no slouch.

No fish stories please.

Thanks,
Glenn

Don Rudolph
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: DC CASE Horsepower? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Glenn,

I would venture to say that a late model DC set up like yours would have 45 HP. An old dealer told me they had to compete with the WD 45 and super M"s output. Thats why they went to the better head and 4" aluminum pistons at the late end of production. Don

Kevin B from Illinois

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: DC CASE Horsepower? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well I don't think that the DC would have much problem staying ahead of the WD 45 because of its light weight but the SUPER M I think would have been especialy tough to stay with.

BarryfromIA
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: DC CASE Horsepower? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dad's late DC was noticeably better on a one row Fox cutter than the neighbor's good WD45. They started looking for something better after that.

Gene Dotson
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: DC CASE Horsepower? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dad a Case D with 4 inch pistons. Dyno'd at 44 horsepower with no tweeking... Gene

DCPULLER
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: DC CASE Horsepower? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Our 52 DC with 4" flat tops, new rings, and fresh 5505 head would run all day on the dyno at 47hp at rated 540 rpm. When we put the screws to her it would max out at 66 hp and then start falling off fast. Dave S

J heikemper

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: DC CASE Horsepower? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The Heart and Soul of Dads 51 DC is Hard to match. I have saddled a dozen or more in my time . Never ,EVER ,have I heard of a DC that Did not have a Fightin
Spirit !..... it amazes me at the Power range the Zenith Carb gives it ,, I can Starve the Old Gent back to Rake hay in hi gear most all day on just 5 gallon of gas ... Or I can Turn that Gent Into a fiesty Old Muscle Man that never will Take No for an Answer as long as it Has gas in the tank ,, i think its working hp can be as low as 25 when leaned back to nearly 70 with the jet opened about 5 turns ,.. set like that ,The Ol Gent will get Hot on a 80 degree or warmer day after an hour giving it HAIL. But if its Cold out,That DC will keep Ya' Warm all day,and keep hummin its song..

tom stanley
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: DC CASE Horsepower? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

the long stroke of a "D" series does give toque/lugging power not sure I ever heard of a SM with 66hp but I could be wrong not knocking them just saying

mEl
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:23 am    Post subject: Re: DC CASE Horsepower? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just remember that HP readings taken at anywhere than the marked checkpoints are meaningless. At 540 and 620 and 1000 marks on the M&W dyno the readings are supposed to be accurate, no other point UNLESS you have a nomograph to convert PSI and RPM to HP away from the checkpoints marked on the tach. Lugging a tractor down below the checkpoints will show higher figures but will be less if corrected in most circumstances. Lugging it down to get a higher reading loses RPM, the other factor in the equasion. There are probably more modern dynos now that do the math for you but our old standby the M&W p series does not. mEl

Lamont
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: DC CASE Horsepower? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My '53 with a DE transplant pulled 51HP on 540RPM. Lugging it down was amazing at 68HP, BUT as mEL said below, that don't mean squat until you do all the calculations for RPM loss. Those old engines have an unbelievable torque curve. They won't fall flat until they're almost down to an idle.

53DC
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:05 am    Post subject: Re: DC CASE Horsepower? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi Don,

How much difference would the Aluminum Pistons make in the HP dept? I have another 53 DC with the AP. I could make that switch if it was worth it. Thanks.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Case and David Brown All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.