Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

5000D fuel gage

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ed1
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject: 5000D fuel gage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I guess no one has a 5000 fuel gage(74). The gage reads almost full all the time. Is there any way to adjust the voltage to the gage?
ed1

awhtx
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 5000D fuel gage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My 1967 5000D has a "voltage regulator" on the back of the instrument panel for the fuel and water temp gauges. When it goes bad the gauges don't work properly. I don't know if your 1974 model uses one or not. If it does most new ones are around $35 for a little part that looks a lot like a turn signal flasher.

paul
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 5000D fuel gage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My whole instrurument cluster on my 75 5000 (actually a 5200) is goofy, it had 19 hours when i bought it 2 years ago, it got up to 61 hours on the tach, I think I've done a little more than that. Smile It would add hours & show rpms when it was cold at first, but doesn't any more. Lot of the lights & gauges are kinda flakey, temp will float around but give an average reading, fuel never has shown anything. Haven't dug into it yet, electrical is not my strong suit.

Have to one of these days. I'm thinking the previous owner put in a new panel, and didn't do it quite right, or iron out the bugs. I'm hoping it's a simple grounding issue or something. I can dream.

--->Paul

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: 5000D fuel gage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

and it's built alot like a flasher.. it's pretty much just a heated bimetallic strip in that voltage stabilizer..

soundguy

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: 5000D fuel gage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

still got the tach that hooks to the w/d ont he genny?

soundguy

ed1
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 5000D fuel gage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes I still have the gage that came with the tractor. Do you know what the volts should show to the fuel gage? A new gage is 108.00 from NH. I'm thinking it might be the voltage stabilizer.
ed1

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 5000D fuel gage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

the VS isn't much more than a heated bimetalic strip that makes and breaks contact.. providing an 'average' voltage to the gauges. they don't react fast enough to show the pulses.

a vom meter likely reacts fast enough to see either bat volts or something like 5-8.. not sure on the exact spec..

soundguy

ed1
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 5000D fuel gage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ok, thanks alot. May just live with the fuel gage, easy enough to check.
ed1

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 5000D fuel gage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

ed1 wrote:
(quoted from post at 01:42:39 10/28/10) I guess no one has a 5000 fuel gage(74). The gage reads almost full all the time. Is there any way to adjust the voltage to the gage?
ed1

Its a simple check if you wanna play....

The voltage stabilizer controls the voltage by switching it on and off,,, its more of a duty cycle than a stabilizer,,, A resistance check is worthless,,, a analog voltage meter will test it,,, set at 12V and look for the needle to swing on-off-on and have a rhythm to it,, on and off times the same,,, if its out of rhythm it will show a false reading,,, a DVOM could be used but more complicated,,, use either the high low settings are HZ set'n are the average set'n,,, I use a DSO,,, make sure the base of the VR is grounded are it will not work... It achieves a adverage of 5V by switching the power on/off,, if it were on for 1 sec and off for one sec the average would be 6V,,, its simple once yo get this in your head....

Its in the archives somewhere were I posted how it works...

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 5000D fuel gage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The VR stabilizer is EZ to check with a test lite are a volt meter... the reaction is slow...

The time it switches would depend on the resistance of the fuel gauge,,, the nearer to 0 ohms the faster it will switch,,, think heat,,,, the sender is nuttin more than a dead short,,, the VR protects the dash gauge from going up in smoke by opening the circuit...

I am not sure if the intent was to make the dash gauge more stable as the fuel sloshed around in the tank,,, if not it sure does do a good of maintaining a steady reading...

Last edited by Hobo,NC on Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hayburner
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 5000D fuel gage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

paul wrote:
(quoted from post at 20:15:05 10/27/10) My whole instrurument cluster on my 75 5000 (actually a 5200) is goofy, it had 19 hours when i bought it 2 years ago, it got up to 61 hours on the tach, I think I've done a little more than that. Smile It would add hours & show rpms when it was cold at first, but doesn't any more. Lot of the lights & gauges are kinda flakey, temp will float around but give an average reading, fuel never has shown anything. Haven't dug into it yet, electrical is not my strong suit.

Have to one of these days. I'm thinking the previous owner put in a new panel, and didn't do it quite right, or iron out the bugs. I'm hoping it's a simple grounding issue or something. I can dream.

--->Paul

This is exactly the same as what my 5000 is doing. When I bought it, the fuel gauge and tach didn't work. I bought a new cluster last year and put it in along with a new tach cable. The tach worked for about 6 months then quit, but the hour meter still works.

The fuel gauge never did start working so it may be something in the tank not working.

My temp gauge worked with the old and still works with the new cluster.

I'm also getting a generator light on, but haven't had the time to check it yet.

If I could get the fuel gauge to work I would be happy.

oldhousehigger
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: 5000D fuel gage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The fuel gage on my 4500 didn't work either before I fixed it. I did a continuity check on the sending unit and found it to be open at the end of the windings nearest the top (empty tank end). The break was between the last wrap of the windings and the insulated connection with male plug on the outside. I unspooled several wraps of the resistor wire off the windings cleaned off the varnish on the end and soldered it to the original connection discarding the broken segment. Yes I used a magnifying glass and it took a while with shaky hands. Itís reading is off a little but better than nada and it was free.
Prior to attempting to check out the instrument panel I took everything apart and cleaned the crud off the contacts.
The gage in the instrument panel I checked by running .2 amps at 12 volts from my battery charger thru the voltage conditioner and then thru a variable resistor I had from the parts museum I seem to have collected. From the resistor to the gage I ran the original wire because resistance makes a difference. The gage actually moved as I reduced resistance showing it worked. I then hooked up the sending unit I had repaired the same way and it operated the gage as well. Both those gages work off a bimetallic strip which changes shape as it heats up with more and more current. Thatís one point for us.
The water temp gage worked when tested this way as well but the sending unit does not work and has as of yet to be replaced so still no water temp but at least I know whatís bad.
I installed a T at the block where the oil pressure switch came out and added a fitting to run to an actual new auxiliary oil pressure gage because it makes me feel warm and fuzzy when it shows 40 lbs at an idle.

Bad connections and bad grounds account for most instrument panel problems I have repaired.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.