Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IH 715 Any Good?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
super99
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:58 pm    Post subject: IH 715 Any Good? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looking for a different combine.There will be a sale near me this Saturday with a 715 on it. Thought I'd go look at it. Never seen too many, are they any good, what to look for? Parts still available? Chris

Harold H
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: IH 715 Any Good? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A very good combine for it's size. Basically a updated version of the 403. Most parts should not present a problem.

Harold H

IHMANKY
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: IH 715 Any Good? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Great machine.. might be the best IH combine ever built prior to the Axial-Flow... Especially if it's a German Diesel with hydrostat. If you can run it prior to auction, function check the hydrostat by easing it forward and reverse to see if it is weak moving the machine from standstill. Not a guaranteed health test for the hydro, but close as you can get without a muddy field. Also look to make sure the grain pan isn't getting rusted or worn through, as usual check auger flighting for sharpness, worn bearings, cupped or hooked sprockets, and check belts and such for abnormal wear (wearing on one side more than another, etc.) Parts are still readily available and are much less expensive than an axial-flow, and most parts can be sourced cheap from a salvage yard.

J heitkemper
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: IH 715 Any Good? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Every machine that has had proper care Can be a good machine .. and in time a LOUSEY machine if you luck runs the wrong way ..,, its all in knowing the Quirks of any make and model,, and MOST IMPORTANT , not having any ignorant prejudice (some folx are done before they start ) against whatever a fella mite buy ... good luck

1206SWMO
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: IH 715 Any Good? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The 715 IH was one of the better combines ever built by IH.Over the years I've owned 4 different 715's.They do a good job and are easy to work on..Several times I ran 800-900 acres per year thru one.

They were a very popular combine in western Missouri and over most all of Kansas.Several are still in use on the smaller farms..Heres a picture of my 1978 715 IH Hydro Diesel with Mud Hog cutting some 36 bushel per acre double crop beans in 2004.

flying belgian
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: IH 715 Any Good? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

They had a very good reputation around here.

super99
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: IH 715 Any Good? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I looked up the auction on the web. 1971 715 C&S special, diesel, hydrostat,810 13'grain head and 844 cornhead. The picture looks like it has been shedded all it's life. Thanks for the reply's, guess I need to go look at it Friday. Any idea what it's worth???? To see picture, google Dan Deporter auction, click on auction listings. Chris

WFE270NWIA
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: IH 715 Any Good? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The 715 is a good bean combine, but they weren't made for today's corn yields with a 4 row head. I used to run 1.5 to 1.75 MPH in 150-175 BPA 20% corn. I always wore ear plugs as the hydro was very noisy in the cab. As cheap as 1440&1460 are I would seriously consider one. 1440 is a great 4 row machine. For 6 row go with the 1460. My 1440 runs rings around the 715 in corn. The 1400 series cabs are a big improvement over the 15 series.Once you run a rotor in corn, you'll never go back to a conventional combine.

mulcher
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: IH 715 Any Good? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We combined about 18000 bu corn with ours this year. Very few problems. 3 mph in 230 bu. corn with a 3 row head.

Brian

RODGEinIL
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: IH 715 Any Good? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've got a 815, same separator/cylinder size more horsepower bin size. 715 is easier to work on without all the extra tinwork! Good combine, ecspecially the german diesel hydro.

Duane George

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: IH 715 Any Good? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i ran a 715 for 10 years. bought with 1300 hrs and sold it with 2200. rarely could we run a day without something breaking. i don't think they were easy to work on. hydrulic pump is a pain to get to. the front bolts on the straw walks suck. when the 1620 showed up combining was fun again. i would look at 14xx instead of the 715.
jnho
Duane

super99
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: IH 715 Any Good? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I didn't even go to the sale. I went and looked it over and then talked to the auctioneer and nephew of the owner. It would be sold in pieces, not as a unit. It had sat in the shed since about the mid 80's. Had a belt off the right side behind the grain tank, tires fair to good. all insulation inside the cab was peeling off and laying on the floor. I talked to a friend who went and he said it brought $4200. More than I would have paid anyhow. Thanks, Chris

Wisfarmer
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:54 am    Post subject: 715 IH with MudHog combining beans picture Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Saw your picture.I have a 715 gas no hydro.Did you put the mudhog on? Do you think I could put one on if no hydro? Where could I find one that would fit? Thanks!!

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Combines and Harvesters All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.