Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Buffed Tires

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FarmallRay
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:15 pm    Post subject: Buffed Tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was looking at rear tractor tire prices at TireTown web site. The prices seem good but it says " ALL TIRES DEPICTED AND PRICED ARE BUFFED TIRES" What does BUFFED mean? Would it hurt the life of the tire? Thanks as always>>>>>>>Ray

circus
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Buffed Tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I bought several buffed mower tires and all identifying marks were ground off. Seemed fine otherwise.

Jason the Red
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Buffed Tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

They are basically tires with minor flaws or defects. Nothing is wrong with them structurally though. I know of several tires purchased from Tire Town, as they are local to me, and no problems have ever occured. "Buffed" simply means the manufacturer name has been ground off.

DiyDave

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Buffed Tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As circus said, buffed is no name, no warranty. I can't get tiretown to come back to me with a shipping quote. Gonna try McScrew's junkyard later this week, they said they had some used of the size I wanted, for $200 per, and tiretown wanted $ 195 new buffs plus shipping. Anybody have any dealings with McScew and co, Seven Valleys, PA?

FarmallRay
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Buffed Tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If the lettering is ground off, is it a decent looking job or do they look like you took a grinder to them yourself?

Knoxcityfarmboy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Buffed Tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have bought them from tire town and the buff job looks good, you have to look for it to notice.

Ralph wd45
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Buffed Tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was looking today on Nebraska tire, and they were selling buffed tires. I read this post to get the answer (thanks) I wondered the same thing. $319.00 for 13.6x28, FOB or pick up.

Dblair
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Buffed Tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have bought some and they are rejected name brand tires with the name brand buffed of. the ones I had looked like a wrinkled up shirt when aired down (14.9x38) tires , filled they (looked) fine but something had to be wrong with the plies to have that appearance . that's my experience and I used the tires.

Pete76NY
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: Buffed Tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Got some Titan's (14.9x38) from Tucker tire...claimed they were "seconds or scuffs or buffs" or something...figured we outsmarted the system 'til 3-4 years later when a sidewall gave out longitudinally...that expense plus the new Firestone we had to replace it with...we were the ones who were outsmarted!

hd6gtom

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Buffed Tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As a former farm tire dealer I can give you a little first hand information. These are tires that were not up to factory specks. Some very large volume tire wholesalers are able to get a contract for these tires. The factory will not sell them to any other dealer. It is a way for the factory to get rid of a product they dont want their name on. I would look them over well before you buy them, sometime you can see the defect sometime you can see nothing wrong with them. Most time when you buy them they are yours, no returns or help if they are a problem.

RodinNS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Buffed Tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Anything I've ever seen on those websites appears to be a Titan to my eyes. That alone is reason enough to pass. The ones that they put their name on are bad ebough never mind the ones they won't put their name on.
As someone already mentioned, they are factory seconds that have some type of defect. Probably a very minor defect, but a defect all the same.
There's any number of china tires out there that are probably every bit as good as a second/blem and probably less money...

Rod

Iowa_tire_guy
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Buffed Tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Farm tires with only minor defects are sold ad ABO. (Appearance Blem Only) These are what we call blems or seconds. Buffed tires have some significant problem that the manufacture wants nothing to do with. You are gambling that you know more than the person who makes them that they will work for what they were intended to do. If they were a DOT regulated product they would be scrapped to never see use.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.