Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

major bonnet fitting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
richard bartlett
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:25 pm    Post subject: major bonnet fitting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am well on the way to restoring a 1955 FMD and had a lot enjoyment and learnt new ways to curse! However, as usual the replacement parts, in this case from agriline, have needed adjusting to fit. The replacement bonnet is too tight to the upright exhust by about 1/2 inch, admittedly the original bonnet was also too tight and had a hole where the exhust had rubbed it. Any ideas as to how best get around this problem? Cheers Richard.

MJ in the UK

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: major bonnet fitting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Richard I am afraid you have bought a Turkish made bonnet and they DO NOT fit. The trouble is the suppliers do not tell you this when you order them, I have had the same problem. MJ

richard bartlett
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: major bonnet fitting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi, thanks I have heard alot about poor fitting bodywork from suppliers from other restorers. I predominately restore landrovers as a hobby and never have trouble with copied replacement parts but I am absolutely amazed with the modifications I have carried out to new parts supplied to not only this FMD but also the Dexta I did two years ago. Considering the cost of these parts it seems outrageous. Agriline has been my main supplier-is there a better one I should consider? I do make good as much original as I can but I do seem to be a sucker for the basket cases!

MJin the UK

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: major bonnet fitting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi Richard, are you in the UK by any chance. MJ

KFD68
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: major bonnet fitting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Had a new bonnet from RP the well known Fordson new parts dealer in Dorset {England} -

1 - the box section around the centre hinge was too large and I had to cut a chunk out of the battery firewall

2 - the brackets that the bonnet stays pivot from were riveted at the front of the bonnet NOT the rear

3 - the flat sides were too deep and looked wrong when bonnet was shut.

4 - the whole bonnet didnt sit flat [horizontal] at the rear where it mounts on the fuel tank

I phoned RP and complained in polite words - he didnt want to know - tough, I had bought it and it was my problem not his - no refund nor discount available. Spoke to several other people in England who had the same bonnet problems; and many people here complain that replacement tinwork from several replacement parts dealers for Fordsons, MFs & IHs just dont fit

richard bartlett
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: major bonnet fitting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi MJ, yes I live in East Sussex, England.

richard bartlett
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: major bonnet fitting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

response to KFD68, I am not at all surprised by your bad bonnet but I am surprised by the suppliers response.
I know that there is good cause to try to keep original parts but they are few and far between and also out of my pocket so replacement parts are required. But there does seem a lack of interest by suppliers to do something about it.
I have only complained once (being English!) about a Dexta manifold, admittedly it was replaced, no extra charge however the replacement was just as bad! I gave up and ground it to shape.

MJ in the UK

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: major bonnet fitting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi KFD68, you had the same problem with your bonnet as me allthrough i did not buy mine from RP. I made it fit with a lot of work. Also the nose cone supplied by RP has a diffrent top curve to the bonnet so they do not match each other. I can see now why a used bonnet and nose cone at the trator show auction at Newark made 930=00. MJ

Mike Farmer
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: major bonnet fitting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm just down the road from you at Andover. NW Hampshire MTF

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Fordson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.