Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to replace the draft control plunger

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobinIL
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:48 am    Post subject: How to replace the draft control plunger Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just had my cam follower pin replaced and my dealership made the draft control adjustments to the linkage. I brought my lift cover home to reinstall on my tractor (Jubilee) and now I have found that the draft control plunger pin is about 1/4 eaten up with rust and wear. The plate is also eaten up with rust. What is the best/easiest way to replace the plunger pin? I assume I am going to have to remove the cylinder from the lift cover plate. Where are the bolts that hold the cylinder on? Are they under the hydraulic accessory plate? I am a little miffed at the dealership for not replacing the plunger when he had the thing apart. I guess with these old Fords it is best to do what you can yourself.

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: How to replace the draft control plunger Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You must remove the lift cover to replace the draft control plunger.

Due to corrosion, it is usually not possible to remove the pin connecting the plunger to the draft control fork so you will need to remove the plunger/fork as an assembly. This can be done after disconnecting the fork at the front and removing the draft control spring and plate.

If memory serves, you will need to remove the touch control lever shaft, which will require removing the cylinder from the lift cover to reinstall.

I have had no luck at all having CNH dealers adjust the internal linkage as nearly none of them still have the proper tools necessary to do so. Note: this is not to say that they will tell you that they cannot properly adjust the linkage. Rather, some (many, most, all?) simply guess at the settings, and tell you that things are fine.

I strongly advise performing the linkage admustments yourself using the alternative procedures (special tools not needed) in the I&T manual.

Dean

ZANE
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: How to replace the draft control plunger Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You must first remove the yoke from where it connects to the top link rocker. If you want to save the yoke you will need to heat it to a cherry red before you try to turn the yoke counterclockwise off the shaft or it will surely break the rusty shaft. After you get the yoke off you can then remove the anchor plate bolts and the anchor plate. Then you need to remove the top cover and then the nut off the end of the draft plunger inside. On the 8N I think that will allow you to pull the whole thing out.

Zane

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.