Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can you not pull start a tractor with t/a?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
curt in ky
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:57 pm    Post subject: Can you not pull start a tractor with t/a? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was talking to someone today and they informed that you cannot pull start a tractor that has a t/a. Only way you can pull start one is to do a t/a delete. I guess it makes sense b/c the tractor will roll off a hill without the parking brake on and have much resistance. Is that true? Thanks.

IaGary

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you not pull start a tractor with t/a? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The 06 series and newer cannot be pull started because the TA"s are hydraulic. Without oil pressure the TA will not lock.

The 60 series and older can be pull started with the TA in the forward or hi speed position. They are a machinical TA and will lock up.

Gary

Aces
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you not pull start a tractor with t/a? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

curt you can pull start any tractor with the machanical TA if you have it in direct drive or lever forward. Smta 300 400 350 450 460 560 656 666 but no the hydraulic TA as Gary said.

curt in ky
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you not pull start a tractor with t/a? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm sorry I forgot to say it's on a 966.

curt in ky
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you not pull start a tractor with t/a? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

curt in ky wrote:
(quoted from post at 05:42:52 02/03/11)
I'm sorry I forgot to say it's on a 966.
So therefore I guess it can't be pull started unless the t/a is deleted since it's hydrualic. Kind of inconvenient if the batteries go dead or would be bad if you ran out of fuel or tractor quit on a steep incline you'd be freewheeling then. Thanks.

mkirsch
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: Can you not pull start a tractor with t/a? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You should be okay if the tractor quit on an incline, unless you push the clutch.

As long as the engine is spinning, there is hydraulic pressure. As long as there is hydraulic pressure, the TA stays locked. As long as the TA stays locked, the transmission will keep the engine spinning.

Even if that doesn't happen, you've got a few seconds to get the rig turned across the hill, or get it stopped and in park. Brakes and steering are supposed to work with the engine off, though not as effectively.

M Nut
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Can you not pull start a tractor with t/a? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've pull started my 686 several times no problems, but I don't think you could on the larger tractors. My 886 is hydraulic TA vs the mechanical in the 686.

LenND
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you not pull start a tractor with t/a? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree with IaGary. You cannot pull start a 706 IHC I don't care how far or how fast that you go. They will not kick in.

scotc
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you not pull start a tractor with t/a? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Except for the 6's in the later series, they still had the mechanical TA.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.