Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Acurately dating Fordson Majors

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KFD68
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:57 am    Post subject: Acurately dating Fordson Majors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My 1961 Super Major in original off-farm condition

The foundary castings all have a date code in raised letter/number which can be used to date Majors within a couple of weeks of build. Because there were so many tractors being built, the castings were used almost immediately - and the codes on the rear axle, engine block and clutch housing will usually be very close numbers.

A30F is my Super Major ---- A=January 30=30th F=1961

The other numbers are very close, so my tractor will have been assembled in the 1st or 2nd week in February 1961.

These casting codes have been published in Britain by Allan Condie in his Fordson books. I can date your tractor if you post your code here

BEWARE - the engines are interchangable and many tractors have had replacement engines fitted so the engine number wont match the others. The rear axle & clutch castings will still provide accurate dating

MJ in the UK

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Acurately dating Fordson Majors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That is a very nice early Super Major, I hope you are not going to paint it. My Uncle farmed 45 acres here in Nottinghamshire and did well out of 5 acres of carrots in 1956 so he bought a new Diesel Major. VRR 19 came new to the farm in August and when my Uncle retired in 1993 at the age of 92 i bought the Major in his sale. I will not paint the tractor as i will loose my Uncles memory and devalue my tractor. MJ

cdmn

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Acurately dating Fordson Majors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't think we saw 3 spoke front wheels in the US. Were they original Ford? What size tires?

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Fordson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.