Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

super major loader front mount hyd pump

View previous topic :: View next topic  
j sawyer

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:25 pm    Post subject: super major loader front mount hyd pump Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I need some help with the drive line for the loader pump mounted on the front of the machine.
The tractor I am working on is a friends that is in need due to a house fire and I am trying to help. with that said, I have no prior knowledge of this tractor.
Problem is.. the drive line for the pump has a Love Joy coupling that slides apart after about half hour of operation. There has been atempts to weld them in place and the spider in the love joy would only destroy . the drive line seems to be alighned and straight by eye. Any help would be greatly appriciated!!! I am sure that this is not the original set up for this drive line so if anyone can shed some light on how it needs to be, I would greatly appriciate it!!!
Sorry for the long post...J

oj
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: super major loader front mount hyd pump Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi, from you discription it sounds like it only has one lovejoy. A second one in the drive line might help. The other possiblity is the lovejoy not being big enough to handle the torque needed to drive the hydraulic pump. I'm currently mounting a hydraulic pump to the front of a Nuffiedl 10/60 (same size /age as the Super Major your talking about) and i've decided on using a pair of U joints to drive the pump (the pump i've got will do 25gpm at 3000rpm / 3000psi - obviously not going to get max out of pump, but still at 2700psi and 2200rpm it will need nearly 40 hp!)

my guess, you either need a larger lovejoy or redo the sghaft with a pair of U joints, That should solve your problem

Scott in PA
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: super major loader front mount hyd pump Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here are two pictures of the front mounted pump that is on my super. They were taking right before tear down for a complete restoration. The drive shaft has two universals and sits in a carrier bearing before attaching to the pump. I still have the parts out so I will try to get a picture taken of the assembly out of the tractor so you can get a better idea of how it is setup. This was either a factory or dealer setup as the tractor was ordered/sold new with the loader and hoe.

Scott in PA
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: super major loader front mount hyd pump Reply to specific post Reply with quote

sorry bad links to the pictures. hopefully these will work.

jsawyer

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: super major loader front mount hyd pump Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It sounds to me like youre drive line set up is like what I would preferr. the pictures that you tried to post did not work. if you dont mind, you can email them. And thank you for the reply.
j

jsawyer

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: super major loader front mount hyd pump Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.. I have thought about the u joint set up, but I will not have enough angle on the drive line to run u joints(correct me if I am wrong). THe love joy that is being used is about 4 inches in diamiter..if I remember correctly it is L-110, but not sure as it is in the barn and I am not. any info is greatly appriciated.
j

oj
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: super major loader front mount hyd pump Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That lovejoy should be big enough (if i remember right). I'm going to use a pair of u joints on my pump regardless of lack of angle (you are correct, u joints need a bit of an angle to work right - so i've been told anyway), as i think ujoint are more reliable long term...

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Fordson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.