Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cam follower pin on 52 8N hydraulics

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard G.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:25 am    Post subject: Cam follower pin on 52 8N hydraulics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I replaced the cam follower pin last night on my 8N. It was almost completely worn off. The quadrant that it rubs against is worn down about one eighth inch. Should I build it back up. If so, is it cast iron or cast steel. I guess I could use brass on either one.
Thanks, Richard

Bill Memphis
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Cam follower pin on 52 8N hydraulics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I built mine up with flux core steel wire, ground down with disc grinder,touched up with a file. Works fine. Good luck.

Bruce (VA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Cam follower pin on 52 8N hydraulics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'd leave it alone. The new pin &correct adjustment will take care of the wear problem.

You did adjust the linkage, right? I think it's a lot easier (and more accurate) to use Zane's jig, as in the picture.

50 Tips

Richard G.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Cam follower pin on 52 8N hydraulics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks, It is worn about 7/8 of the way across the quadrant. So, I can tell how much to build up by what is left. It appears to be cast steel, so I can use a 6010 or 6011 rod and grind it back down. I just got it out of the housing to make it easier.
Temp is in the seventies, so I need to be preparing the early garden spot.
Richard

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Cam follower pin on 52 8N hydraulics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you can weld build it up,,, nuttin to it,,, I use a mig,,, the unworn part will be your guide... If you are skeered leave it B... I posted a how 2 but will have to look for it...

I would not consider it a real fix if I put it back as it is,,, its more of a shim job in my book to let it skeer me...nuttin I would B proud of...

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Cam follower pin on 52 8N hydraulics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

if you an weld.. I'd opt to weld it vs brazing. i think it will be easier to deposit the weld.. and it will for sure wear better against that hard dowel pin.

I welded up my last one with 6013 I would not choose 6010 or 6011. too much penetration and too nasty.. 60 13 lays down smooth.. less grindind to do afterwards.. the one on my 950 was worn so bad I had to fix it.. couldn't adjust the hyds properly without it it was eat up so bad.

your call.

soundguy

Ken(Ark)
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Cam follower pin on 52 8N hydraulics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

soundguy wrote:

.....and it will for sure wear better against that hard dowel pin......

soundguy

Anyone hear of somebody using some form of a sleeve that rotated on the follower pin for a crude bearing ? Or a splash arm on the pto shaft to splash lube the upper assemblies ? Maybe a carefully aimed pin hole in the ram cylinder at max lift to spray lube ?

I recon a new pin every 50 years is enough but 100 years would make me feel better Wink

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Cam follower pin on 52 8N hydraulics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Its look'n right at ya,,, EZ as pie,,, that is if you are not skeered...

http://www.ytmag.com/cgi-bin/viewit.cgi?bd=nboard&th=663309

Richard G.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Cam follower pin on 52 8N hydraulics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Built it up,ground it down, filed it smooth, looks pretty good. Will try to post a pic if I can figure out how to do it.
Thanks

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.