Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

oil pick up tube

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
danny in draketown
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:20 pm    Post subject: oil pick up tube Reply to specific post Reply with quote

1951 8n 12 volt side mount. when i pulled the oil pan off i noticed that the oil pick up tube had just a fuzz of play in it. where the tube mounts to the bracket on the block there is a hair line crack allowing it to move is this a big problem ?

Brian Bell
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: oil pick up tube Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would think so. The tube mount is part of the front main bearing cap. I would tend to think a new cap and line bore is in order. Now, if the problem is in the pickup tube itself, I'd say get another one and get a machine shop to rebuild your pump and replace the pickup. If theres a crack, especially if it runs in or near the tube, how long before it breaks in half or starts leaking profusely?

danny in draketown
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: oil pick up tube Reply to specific post Reply with quote

its where the tube goes into the oil pump body.it looks like its it just has a little play in it. what holds those two together?

R Geiger
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: oil pick up tube Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i do believe they are silver soldered together.

DollarBill
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: oil pick up tube Reply to specific post Reply with quote

danny in draketown wrote:
the oil pick up tube had just a fuzz of play in it. where the tube mounts to the bracket on the block there is a hair line crack allowing it to move is this a big problem ?

Danny, that is the OIL PICK UP - If it has a crack, it could be sucking air. Air isn't a good lubricant.

If you don't repair or replace the tube, it will eventually break.

Fix it right while you have it apart.

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: oil pick up tube Reply to specific post Reply with quote

(quoted from post at 22:20:53 02/23/11) 1951 8n 12 volt side mount. when i pulled the oil pan off i noticed that the oil pick up tube had just a fuzz of play in it. where the tube mounts to the bracket on the block there is a hair line crack allowing it to move is this a big problem ?

Originally they used lead solider,,, tip take yer pocket knife and see if you can dig into the solider,,, if so mark the tube in relationship to the end plate, heat it and pull the tube out... It must be free of all lead,,, re-solider with silver solider (even the crack) are pay someone who knows how to do it.. are buy a good used one...

All you need is the tube and end plate,,, the tube and end plate have nuttin to do with the line-bore...

Last edited by Hobo,NC on Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
JEK1
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: oil pick up tube Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here is what that part looks like. You can buy this one very reasonable if you want. The tube look to be just lead soldered.

JerryS
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: oil pick up tube Reply to specific post Reply with quote

By all means, fix it. If you don't, one day you will make a sudden stop (bang into a tree, e.g.) and your tractor will start making loud clattering noises. Expensive noises.

GAJIM
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: oil pick up tube Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had a similar problem about 4 years ago and replaced the pick up tube. I did not realize it was sucking so much air. My hot idle oil pressure went from 20 to 40 psi. Do not take a chance - either fix it or replace it. GA Jim

Dunk
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: oil pick up tube Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I took mine out, cleaned it all good, then took about an hour, making sure that I had it EXACTLY right, and brazed it.

danny in draketown
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: oil pick up tube Reply to specific post Reply with quote

would that be like sweating copper tubing?

BillM (OH)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: oil pick up tube Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes and no - silver solder has a higher melting point than lead solder and makes a much better fix on the tube.

Dunk
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: oil pick up tube Reply to specific post Reply with quote

(quoted from post at 16:11:52 02/24/11) would that be like sweating copper tubing?

If you are asking that about brazing, like BillM said, yes, but a lot hotter.

Even hotter for brazing, than silver soilder.

If you have no experience with brazing, DO NOT learn on this part.

Silver solder, maybe..... If you have experience with sweating copper.

danny in draketown
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: oil pick up tube Reply to specific post Reply with quote

where would i get silver solder and could i get it hot enough with my little propane torch or would i need a set of tanks ?

G6 at Snook, TX
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: oil pick up tube Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would think that a machine shop could do this small job for you if you take them part. It would seem something they deal with occasionally.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.