Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TO35 input shaft seal

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill in CA
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 9:14 am    Post subject: TO35 input shaft seal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm trying to replace trans input shaft seal in 1955 TO35 dual clutch - I've got the housing loose - removed the cover for the counter shaft and removed the circlips/snap rings and installed bolt in counter shaft but shaft will not move forward - is there something I'm missing or do I need to do more dis-assembly. I need help/advice so I can replace clutch and get back using tractor. Thanks

Tony in Mass.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: TO35 input shaft seal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am in the same boat. April 20th 18;35 or so you will find my post with pics of the same deal. Steve L. got into this with a single stage clutch, but I rckon we got another ring or something hanging up the job. I will try to repost the pics now it I can find them-

Bill in CA
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: TO35 input shaft seal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Tony, I missed your previous post, but I did find an earlier post (see link below) if I read it right - all you need to do is remove that round cover below the input shaft and pull the counter shaft out and down and the input shaft should come right out - I even talked to a tech at the local tractor shop and he said basically the same thing - although he was hesitant to give more info (would rather me take it to his shop) my counter shaft only moves out about half an inch then stops - I know my shaft seal leaks because I have to keep adding gear oil and I'm replacing the clutch (was oil soaked). I haven't taken off the top cover as yet - did you find anything in there that would release the input shaft?
Untitled URL Link

samn40
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: TO35 input shaft seal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The shaft needs to go back into the 'box to let the gear drop down slightly on the dual clutch model. The threaded hole in the shaft is for pulling it back out into the gear and bearing. On a 135 you actually have to split the gearbox off the tranny housing to let the shaft back but not on your 35 model.
Hope this helps ....Sam

Bill in CA
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: TO35 input shaft seal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll give that it a try - all this time I've been trying to pull it out and I should be pushing it in - now that makes more sense, I couldn't figure out why that cir-clip had to be removed if the shaft moved out. It keeps it from moving in.
Thanks again.

Tony in Mass.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: TO35 input shaft seal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Uh huh. I got the drift of guys talking about the lower shaft, that I call the pto shaft, which if the front section of that came out, yeah, the teeth on the gear of the upper shaft wouldn't be meshed into anything, and the cone? with the square hole could/ may come forward.... I wasn't intending to field strip this thing to the swinging drawbar, but I am working my way in that direction.

Tony in Mass.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: TO35 input shaft seal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You found that from 2002? I didn't think Al Gore invented the internet till 04... yep, the names are changed, but the idea is the round plate on the bottom has to come off, the end of the shaft in there has to come out- however, and THEN the main shaft cone housing will come forward and the world will be a happier place for it. Trouble is, I don't know if the seal was even leaking, but now that I am this far, and have a new seal here already.... got to jump in with both feet huh?

Steve Lundborg
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: TO35 input shaft seal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tony, I've been pouring over my manual for you to figure out what you need to do. The reason you can't pull out your input shaft housing is that you need to pull out the live pto shaft, which is behind the plate below the input shaft housing.Nice picts btw,then using internal snap ring pliers remove the snap ring, then you can remove the shaft. There are internal threads on the end of the shaft to aid in pulling it out. (The manual shows a somewhat complicated procedure for reinstalling it.)With the live pto shaft removed the mainshaft carrier should just pull out.
Now if anyone can instruct me on the proper procedure for removing the main drive shaft seal without damaging the main drive shaft retainer assembly on a single shaft drive I will be forever grateful.The manual stops short here in explaining this. The seal sits halfway in the housing behind a washer like part at the end of the shaft where it meets the larger part of the housing. I started to drive the washer out thinking is was the seal with a pipe before realizing that something was wrong. I've never removed a seal from a rabbit hole before.

Bill in CA
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: TO35 input shaft seal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey Steve,
Does your manual say whether or not the trans/pto have to be in any particular gear/position - I removed the snap ring and the pressed off the bearing - and the shaft itself will not move out what I believe is the carrier inside the gearbox - when you say out, you do mean toward engine - samn40 stated into gearbox -I can't get mine to move either way - it only moves the whole thing not just the shaft - pretty frustrated at this point.

Steve Lundborg
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: TO35 input shaft seal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bill,
The manual says:Remove the live PTO shaft by sliding it out of the front of the transmission. This allows the PTO drive gear to drop down so the main drive shaft retainer can be removed. That's what your picture shows, in the manual diagram this shaft is coming straight out. The end of the shaft is threaded, a bolt might give you some purchase,as this needs to slide through the PTO drive gear, there also appears to be another snap ring before the drive gear in the diagram.I also live in California.

samn40
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: TO35 input shaft seal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just done the seals in a 65 today and the shaft had to go back like a 135.Instead of splitting the gearbox off the trans housing ,I removed the hydraulic pump.
As I said before on early tractors you don't have to do this but I think from your pics that your gearbox is like the 135....so the shaft needs to go back.
Sam

Bill in CA
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: TO35 input shaft seal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the input - but thanks to Steve L who sent me info on my dual clutch set up the shaft does indeed pull forward towards the engine - once you remove the bearing assembly on shaft - there is a thrust washer on the shaft that comes off to reveal as snap ring that holds the counter shaft in - remove the snap ring and the shaft pulls forward - I will post pictures of the process when I re-assemble (I couldn't on dis-assembly because it was raining)

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Harry Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.