Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

830 rear end whine

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kevin in Iowa
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: 830 rear end whine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So I had my 830's rear end/trans/clutch rebuilt.. (used case hydra-trans fluid) Now I am hearing a little more of a whining noise coming from the rear then before. Does my 830 comfort king have a "david brown" transmision that I have read about that has the straight cut gears? I didnt really notice the whine before the rebuild but maybe its how is was suppose to be...just need some cheese... Thanks

Zach81
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 830 rear end whine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What did the old fluid look like? Was it super thick and white like there was alot of condensation in it from over the years? In my experience if you change that old stuff and now have good fluid in it it may be louder now for a few reasons. 1. gears may be pitted slightly.
2. That old nasty stuff is sometimes like a thick grease that really quiets the gears even though its not the best on them.

Kevin in Iowa
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:22 am    Post subject: Re: 830 rear end whine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

oh yea it had a lot of water in it and thick.. that was the reason it needed rebuilt.. we had to put a couple of new gears and also a couple of new bearings in it.. that's sort of what I was thinkning.. it was thicker before and now with new grease in it, it is how it is suppose to be..

j heikemper

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: 830 rear end whine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

the 830 is CASE only !,..not a teneco shotgun wedding db leftover....You seem to be confused.. lol . perhaps the whine is caused by the thin hy tran in the rearend? whoops, you put hi tran in the rearend,?? ...IMHO .. 830 rearends should have at the very least 80 w oil,, and nuthin wrong with 140 in there.. I bet that is the problem ,,, Guys Chime in...

Kevin in Iowa
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: 830 rear end whine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Wasnt sure how thick of fluid I could go as I still want my hydraulics to work well. I may add some 80 or 90w in with the hy-tran.. but my book calls for hy-tran..

Case Nutty 1660
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: 830 rear end whine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Kevin the gears you had replaced, did they replace both gears that run together on just one as doing this can cause a gear whine due to one new and one used running together just a thought, also is it a "CK" (regular 3-pt) or a eagle hitch model as the early one does call for "90wt" but the later used TCH which I replaced with Hy-Tran some 20 years ago in all of my "CK's" with no problems or extra whine cnt

Kevin in Iowa
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: 830 rear end whine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

its a CK, sorry, though I stated that but guess I didnt...not sure what all gears were replaced but it sure could be that one old is running against a new one.. that could sure be it.

dboll

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: 830 rear end whine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

you guys might want to check your facts,from the operators manual for ser. numbers 8173401 and after which would be a 1961 the 30 series had a common sump and the eh models call for 18 gals. of type A or Case hi lo-TCH which is usually substitited for Hy-Tran though TCH is still available, JD 303, Cenex Quick lift or equivelant universal trans. draulic oil will also suffice. I don't rember if our 1960 830 had common oil or not.

dboll

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 830 rear end whine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

if it's whining theres two gears that are not happy together and oil isn't going to fix that, if it's noisy it's scuffing metal, I would never reccomend mixing gear oil into hytran, if it will lube a 300hp Magnum I think it will protect a 65hp tractor ok, and if the hydraulic pump is worn fix that problem

Case Nutty 1660
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:35 am    Post subject: Re: 830 rear end whine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I second third and fourth that cnt

mEl
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: 830 rear end whine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

kevin in iowa wrote:
(quoted from post at 19:22:07 06/27/11) So I had my 830's rear end/trans/clutch rebuilt.. (used case hydra-trans fluid) Now I am hearing a little more of a whining noise coming from the rear then before. Does my 830 comfort king have a "david brown" transmision that I have read about that has the straight cut gears? I didnt really notice the whine before the rebuild but maybe its how is was suppose to be...just need some cheese... Thanks

How bad is the whine and is it all gears or one in particular? A soft whine in the higher gears is probably ok if the ring and pinion are set up to spec. My 61 830 is quite noisy like an loose bearing noise and has run many years with out causeing me any grief. Those trannys are tough. I would suspect the lighter oil is contributing to the loudness but I agree that no thicker oil be mixed in , If you are sure the settings are right and all the gears are in good condition run it in my opinion. mEl

j heikemper

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: 830 rear end whine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I Stand corrcted ,, I was thinking only of eary 800 ,730 eagle hitch series , All built before 1964

Country Nate
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: 830 rear end whine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My 730 Comfy has always has a slight "whine" in the high gears. Never had any problem though.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Case and David Brown All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.