Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ford 590E Help?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Elder
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: Ford 590E Help? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello guys, My name is Bob Elder.. this is my first post here.

I recently purchased a 1975 Ford F250 that has been converted to a 590E engine.

The oil pan was full of about 16L of oil/antifeeze.

I really dont know much about these engines, but plan on taking off the cylinder head to have a look. Are these engines known for head gasket failure? Or are they bad for something else that could cause that much AF to be in the oil?

If it is the head gasket, can you re-use the head bolts on these??

What is the torque spec on the head bolts and what is the spec on the valve adjustment?? Or where can I find this info?

I am having a hard time finding much info on this, so any help would be great!!

Thanks so much!
Bob

The Swanndri Guy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 590E Help? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bob, for any information on the 590E engine, go to the Fordson Tractor Pages at "fordsontractorpages.nl" then go to the "Ford and Fordson conversion forum" Theres a lot of information on the 590E engines in this forum as this is the simplest way to convert a Fordson Major to 6 cylinder.All the other information you ask for is there.These engines have wet liners,so I would "guess" that this is most likly where your problem is.TSG.

exp500
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 590E Help? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sorry to hear of your leaker. Have you re-filled it to verify where your leak is? The FMD/SMD 220 is the same as your 590E I believe,2 less cylinders. yours is 330 cu.in? These engines are known for leaking/ corroded blocks around "O" rings around the wet sleeves if the anti freeze isn"t changed often. If you haven"t pulled the head yet try a leakdown test and a fresh fill of water to test.I haven"t heard of problems re-using the headbolts if they are in good shape.I may have more info for you if you need it. I"ll check. E-mail is open. JB.

Bob Elder
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 590E Help? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well thats not great news for me..

Thanks so much for the info guys... Yes this is a 330 CID non turbo..

When I got it, it had way to much oil/antifreeze mix in the oil, and the antifreeze level was very low and very dirty, as though it had not been changed in a while as suggested...

If the blcok is rusty where the seal for the sleeve is, is there a way to fix it so it can seal again? do I have to replace the sleeves? or can I just replace the seal? Any info or special tools required to re-sleeve?

Is there a good place to get the sleeve seals?

Again guys, thanks so much. I think this truck is really neat and would like to get it back up and running again...

Bob Elder
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 590E Help? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

[quote="The Swanndri Guy"](quoted from post at 22:13:34 07/16/11) Bob, for any information on the 590E engine, go to the Fordson Tractor Pages at "fordsontractorpages.nl" then go to the "Ford and Fordson conversion forum" [/q

Found it and also registered over there..

Last edited by Bob Elder on Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Fordson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.