Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sund pickup

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fordfarmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:14 pm    Post subject: Sund pickup Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Finally got a chance to use the pickup head today - first time I've run one, and I've only seen them used once, probably 30 years ago. They just aren't common around here. Worked nicely, though I will probably put a somewhat larger drive sprocket on when I get a chance. I had the variable speed as fast as it would go, and it still limited my ground speed.
Thanks for your help with this, Tom!

Case Nutty 1660
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Sund pickup Reply to specific post Reply with quote

anytime, glad to see she still bringing in the crop!! Thanks for posting cnt

Dick2
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:12 am    Post subject: Re: Sund pickup Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Those Sund pickup are known for picking up everything - - including rocks, so be careful if you have any rocks in your fields.

Haley
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: Sund pickup Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey Fordfarmer you gave me an idea!That pickup looks kinda like the pickup head on a peanut picker with the bars and springs.I have had several times that I could have combined clover but it needed to be windrowed and dried first.There are NO pickup heads around here but there are tons of peanut pickers that now one may become a donor for a cheap pickup to go on a spare grain head.

Bradley K
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: Sund pickup Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The Sund pickups were very common in ND. A very high percentage of windrow heads out there had them on. Guess they did a great job, lots of guys swore by them.

I hadn"t heard about the rock issue. Had always thought the opposite, as ND fields are notoriously rocky in some areas. Never had any personal experience with one, except that I have several that are on machines in my collection.

Would be interested in hearing more people"s experience. I was thinking a lot of stones would fall through and not get in the header.

Brad

sd pete
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: Sund pickup Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had a Sund pickup on a 715 IHC I used the hyd reel drive motor to run the pickup. I never ran a rock into the machine everything else went up in it though.

Case Nutty 1660
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Sund pickup Reply to specific post Reply with quote

we have a LOT of rocks here in Wyoming, the pickup in the pics was mine and had used it for years to pickup alpha seed and never picked ip a rock as far as I know, but not saying it couldn't, I also have a newwer Sund with belts instead of the fingers and I could see them picking rocks fairly easy cnt

DeltaRed
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Sund pickup Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The Sund pickup is real popular for pinto beans.Yes,I've seen em pick up a few rocks.

Fordfarmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Sund pickup Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The manual showed how to set it up with a hydraulic motor, but my 1400 isn't set up to run one. This pic shows how it's run off the variable reel drive. Since the tensioner is on the arm that held the reel, I didn't connect the hose for the reel lift cylinders.

Fordfarmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Sund pickup Reply to specific post Reply with quote

10-15 miles east of here it's REAL rocky. Not nearly as bad here, but we still have our fair share... tho a lot of them would be too big to get lifted into the head by the pickup. That is something I'll have to keep in mind when I have oats in the two fields that have gravel ridges running through them.

Last edited by Fordfarmer on Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Fordfarmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Sund pickup Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This all started last year when I asked here if a pickup from a chopper hay head could be made to work on a combine head... because I couldn't find any pickup attachments around here either. Tom sold this one to me, and an ad on the hauling schedule on this site got it from WY to WI. I'd like to see it, if you make a pickup head like that.
I had almost scrapped that 960 head after having trouble with the Love cutterbar on it, and buying a 970 rigid head. Glad I didn't now! (BTW... I still have the Love bar parts that I took off this head, if anyone can use them... I'd rather sell them cheap than scrap them.)

Case Nutty 1660
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Sund pickup Reply to specific post Reply with quote

heys guys I still have several Sund units here yet if that helps cnt

LenND
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Sund pickup Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The Sund pickup was invented and made (still is) about fifty miles north of me. As far as picking up rocks. That depends on how you operate the pickup.. The Sund pickup does not have to be riding on the ground to pickup most grain. If you keep it just above the bottom of the swath it will pick it up fine. Run one of the old style ones for years. The old style would pickup a swath from any direction (forward or backwards).

55 50 Ron
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Sund pickup Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm originally from ND, Towner County. I don't remember where the Sunds were made. Where is "about 50 miles north from you", Len?
If I recall correctly the Sunds were called the Raking Pickups.

Dad had an Innes Northwest Special on his JD 55.

I think any pickup may pick a rock now and then. They key is to keep them as high as possible just so you don't miss the grain.

LenND
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Sund pickup Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I live in Minot. The Sund plant is in Maxbass area north of Minot. I have never run any of their new models. They are supposed to be pretty good I understand. The Sund co. is run by the Sund family yet.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Combines and Harvesters All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.