Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FORD 800 oil not getting to rocker arm

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greg1959
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:19 am    Post subject: FORD 800 oil not getting to rocker arm Reply to specific post Reply with quote

New rebuild. I got great advice from this forum about how to build up oil pressure using a drill and turning the oil pump. Pressure got up to 53 lbs. on pressure gauge. But I am not getting oil pumping up to my rocker arm assembly. Nor is oil coming out of the port the feeds into the oil tube leading up to my rocker arms.

Shouldn't oil pump up to the rocker arms using a drill and obtaining 53 lbs. pressure?

Thanks.

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: FORD 800 oil not getting to rocker arm Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"Nor is oil coming out of the port the feeds into the oil tube leading up to my rocker arms. " In that case it sounds to me as though a block passage may be obstructed. It looks like that feed may come from the area around a cam bearing. Do you recall cleaning a passage in that area?

Greg1959
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: FORD 800 oil not getting to rocker arm Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes, the entire block, cam, crank, etc was cleaned. But, no that you mentioned that the cam bearing port may be clogged, got me to thinking....
I am using a drill just turning the oil pump to build up pressure. but the cam has to rotate for the oil ports to line up during each rotation. Thus, by not cranking the engine, what may be happening is the oil ports are not lined up to allow the oil to be pushed up the oil tube.

Is this possible?

Thanks

Errin OH
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: FORD 800 oil not getting to rocker arm Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The passage that the rocker tube gets its oil is the same place the gauge connects (middle of the block on the right side). This same passage feeds the camshaft and the little hole for oiling the timing gears. If you have any air in the system, it will appear to not be pumping oil up that tube.

In my case, I had 45lbs on a sun pro gauge and nothing going up top. I stuck a air hose in the gauge port hole and verified no blockage (air coming out tube), then traced back to a bad gasket on the oil pump pickup tube (sucking air).

BTW - when corrected, the sun pro gauge showed 70lbs oil pressure. Not sure if it was the gauge or what but the factory gauge shows 50 cold and 45 all warmed up.

gatchelguy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: FORD 800 oil not getting to rocker arm Reply to specific post Reply with quote

IIRC rocker arm lube comes thru a cross drilling in a camshaft journal which must be aligned with corresponding holes in the block to allow the passage of oil. The top side gets its oil in spurts, supposedly to prevent plugging of the supply line.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: FORD 800 oil not getting to rocker arm Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Like gatchel guy says the hole is cross drilled. You just need to rotate it slowly and the flow will come.

shaun wallace
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: FORD 800 oil not getting to rocker arm Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Did you push the oil tube down hard or just stick down thru passage. Some of them have to pushed down real hard and sometimes have to tap it down with hammer.

Greg1959
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: FORD 800 oil not getting to rocker arm Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes, I pushed it in and seated it by tapping it the rest of the way. Also, I pulled out the oil tube and pressurized the oil and had no oil coming out of the port where the oil tube goes.

I think now, that the oil holes are not lined up at this moment But once the engine startsthe oil should make its way to the rocker are assembly.

Thanks

steamnjn23
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: FORD 800 oil not getting to rocker arm Reply to specific post Reply with quote

just rotate your engine about 180 degrees around and your cross drilled holes should line up to get oil flow to the top. becareful it will spurt out

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.