Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Can't remove Rear Wheel Hub on my '48 8N?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
8nModesto
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:13 pm    Post subject: Can't remove Rear Wheel Hub on my '48 8N? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Can't remove the rear hub. Tried everything..including heat and tapping. See photo with large 3-point puller. Even the puller screw is bending with the pressure.

Followed Smith's instructions...FO-4 instructions...everything I could read so far. Won't budge. The nut is turned away so there is room for the hub to pop off. Need to replace the outer seal and gasket to stop grease leak. HELP!

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't remove Rear Wheel Hub on my '48 8N? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You need a bigger/more HD puller.

The coarse thread on the force screw of the one you are using tells me it's not a real high-powered unit.

36 Coupe
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't remove Rear Wheel Hub on my '48 8N? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The puller is too flimsy for the work.A wheel puller has a larger screw and has a wrench that can be struck with a hammer to tighten the screw.The end of the screw has to be hit with a hammer when the puller is tight.The puller you have is just too light,Time to rent a real one.Get some Kroil too.

Toolkat1
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't remove Rear Wheel Hub on my '48 8N? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You will need a stout wheel hub puller made for the purpose. I know snap on sells one, was about $100 when I bought mine about 8 years ago.
Toolkat

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:06 am    Post subject: Re: Can't remove Rear Wheel Hub on my '48 8N? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

8NModesto wrote:
(quoted from post at 16:13:12 10/04/11) Can't remove the rear hub. Tried everything..including heat and tapping. See photo with large 3-point puller. Even the puller screw is bending with the pressure.

Followed Smith's instructions...FO-4 instructions...everything I could read so far. Won't budge. The nut is turned away so there is room for the hub to pop off. Need to replace the outer seal and gasket to stop grease leak. HELP!

Leave the nut loose as you have it & put wheel back on and plow the north 40 and see it work loose.

DollarBill
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:46 am    Post subject: Re: Can't remove Rear Wheel Hub on my '48 8N? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

8NModesto wrote:
Can't remove the rear hub. Tried everything..including heat and tapping. See photo with large 3-point puller. Even the puller screw is bending with the pressure.

As others have mentioned, you've sent a boy to do a mans job. Here's what you'll need to part the hub from the axle.

HUB PULLER

NOXJohn
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: Can't remove Rear Wheel Hub on my '48 8N? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When I have a stuck hub I use a big wedge (old axe head) and a BFH. Put the wedge between the hub and the bearing cap. Make sure you line it up so the wedge is hitting one of the round headed bolts on the bearing cap and the back of one of the lugs on the hub. Hit the wedge with the BFH. Turn hub and line up with another lug bolt and hit again. After a couple of hits it will come off. Wear eye protection in case of flying broken off pieces of metal. Make sure to line up with round headed bolt on bearing cap. If you line up with one with a wrench headed bolts you may mess up the head to where a wrench will not fit. This has always worked for me.

oldtanker
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Can't remove Rear Wheel Hub on my '48 8N? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

DollarBill wrote:
(quoted from post at 03:46:17 10/05/11)
8NModesto wrote:

As others have mentioned, you've sent a boy to do a mans job. Here's what you'll need to part the hub from the axle.

HUB PULLER

I picked one of those up at an auction for 60 bucks last year....right before I had to replace the seals on my 8N Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Rick

ZANE
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't remove Rear Wheel Hub on my '48 8N? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Back when I worked for the Talladega County road department we had an older mechanic that had been at it for about 50 years. When he had to remove the big track sprocket from a dozier final drive all he did was take the nut off the shaft and with a 20 pound hammer he would whack the outer edge of the sprocket hard as he could swing that big hammer and after just a few well aimed licks that sprocket would fly off onto the floor like it was shot from a gun.

I've dont it with the 8N hub too. It's a two man job though and it has to be someone good with the hammer. Use a big drift that will just fit between the lugs on the hub and about a foot long and get the hammer man to strike it hard as he can. It helps if he can hit the drift every time and not your or the hub.
Knock it toward the axle.
Won't hurt to leave the puller on tight as you can get it too. The jarring will probably shake it off though after a few licks.

Zane

8nModesto
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't remove Rear Wheel Hub on my '48 8N? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

THANKS to all of you. Got the hub off today...used a bit of everyone's advice. borrowed a big Heavy Duty Hub Puller with an 1-1/8" screw from my welder friend. Cranked it tight and with one hard swing of a 4-lb hammer on the back of the hub it popped right off the taper. Just finished putting new seal and gaskets and put everything back together including new brake shoes. Put new screws in for the brake drum and re-installed tire and wheel after changing the dish-pan center to the inside of the rim.

Tomorrow I will now do the other side. Thanks again for all your help. The forum is just great.

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't remove Rear Wheel Hub on my '48 8N? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

For the record you can pull the hole deal out axle and all and put it in a press... I am tired of mess'n up good pullers on a N axle,,, press and heat if needed.... A stuck hub is good believe it are not.... Your pocket book will know the feeling of a loose one...

[url][/url]

Last edited by Hobo,NC on Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't remove Rear Wheel Hub on my '48 8N? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hobo,NC wrote:
(quoted from post at 22:27:54 10/05/11) For the record you can pull the hole deal out axle and all and put it in a press... I am tired of mess'n up good pullers on a N axle,,, press and heat if needed.... A stuck hub is good believe it are not.... Your pocket book will know the feeling of a loose one...

[url][/url]
Now that will "get 'er dun!".

Harry Wilken
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't remove Rear Wheel Hub on my '48 8N? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

WOW. that is one nice way to do it. Both my hubs were badly worn. I bought a large hydrulic three claw puller for the job. Went to pull them and hubs fell off. Really worn.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters