Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Round Balers

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmiller
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Round Balers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Toying with the idea of getting a round baler. What should I be looking for. What should I know. Current tractor is an 806 IH (1,000 and 540 pto). I Currently do about 60 ton a year through a 336 JD baler. I am thinking to continue that but I'm wondering if I could pick up more acreage in less time if I expanded into round baling. Locally on craigslist there is a 510JD baler for sale, are they any good (I know it is old but anything in my price range will be), what might it be worth.

Spotted Horse
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Round Balers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I sold my JD 510 a couple of months ago for $1000.00 and it had good belts and brand new tires.
I liked the one I had, but some people don't seem to care much for the 510.

JDseller
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: Round Balers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A JD 510 baler is a closed throat baler. That means that all of the hay goes into the baler through a narrow opening. They are real easy to plug with any type of hay clump. We used to joke about hay baled with a JD 510 baler. You know it would be good and dry. If it is tough it will wrap the rolls and make a mess. They will bale hay but it takes some skill to get on to doing it. The narrow belts also where an issue in thin hay. They would slide off the hay when you where trying to start a new bale. We would turn the PTO off and use the pickup to rake up a small pile and let it go in all at once. It was a real gamble. Too small of a pile and the belts would flip/slide off. Too big a pile and you would plug the baler. There is a reason they are cheap.

Craig C
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:33 am    Post subject: Re: Round Balers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I wouldn't even consider anything less than a 530 and they just got better from there. It would be like trading in a 2cylinder that you used everyday for a 4240 and making no steps inbetween. Vermeer made some earlier open throat balers that were pretty good, and they are usually cheaper than an older deere. We had a 605F and sold it several years ago for $3000 with $1500 worth of new belts on it. Never heard back from the guy, Hope he had good luck with it.

Nebraska Cowman
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: Round Balers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Look for something in the $5000 range if you want to work out with it. The 510 would be fine for 100 bales but they are getting pretty old fashioned for custom work. Do you have time to run over 1000 bales a year?

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: Round Balers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

After operating,selling JD 430/530 & later models I refer to the 410/510 models as "bundlers" not balers because all the older ones had was spring tension on the forming hay. I can still remember the horrors that the bottom & top belts gave on the 510's when trying to start a bale. I never could understand how the bottom belts could flip over trying to start a core incorrectly and then it would take several hrs of hard labor to turn it back over.

Spotted Horse
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Round Balers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I must have been lucky with the 510 I had, I never had a problem with any bottom belts flipping over.
I used it for years baling 100-150 bales (per year) of brome grass and alfalfa.
It made good bales,... grass bales averaged about 900#, and the alfalfa bales averaged close to 1300# (over a 4 year period of selling hay baled with the 510).
A 510 does NOT like "green" hay, it has to be dry to bale decent.
Since I've recently put more acres into hay, I've upgraded to a JD 535 and really like it.

Two implement dealers around here, both have had a 510 sitting on their lot for at least 3 years,... they've both been asking $1500.00 and the balers are still sitting there.

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Round Balers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Spotted Horse wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:46:30 10/12/11) I must have been lucky with the 510 I had, I never had a problem with any bottom belts flipping over.

The reason you didn't flip any belts over is because you more than likely paid attention while starting the core as in "no snow cone shaped cores". Some beginning(NEW) rd baler operators fail to grasp that concept. Irregardless a JD 530-568 series balers will bale better bales with "less effort" than a 510

Last edited by Tx Jim on Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:20 am; edited 1 time in total
dmiller
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Round Balers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So wording my question differently. Would getting into round bales be a good idea, and if so would a 510 be an inexpensive way to start or a headache to stay away from?

johndeerefan
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Round Balers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would suggest going up to the JD 535. It is practically the same as the 530, but it has a bale kicker which is really nice. We bale with a JD 530 and it does just fine other than having to back up to spit out a bale. You should be able to find a nice 530 for around $4000-$5000 or a 535 for $6000-$8000.

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Round Balers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

dmiller wrote:
(quoted from post at 15:40:28 10/12/11) So wording my question differently. Would getting into round bales be a good idea, and if so would a 510 be an inexpensive way to start or a headache to stay away from?

I think there are better older rd balers for same $$$$

Spotted Horse
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Round Balers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

dmiller,... where are you located?

A Fella in Hanston Kansas has a JD 530 advertised for $3,800.00 OBO,.....
John deere 530 round baler. new belts, drive rolls, many bearing, tires 80%. tension and end gate cylinder just rebuilt. field ready. if interested please call larry at 269-223-2203. may be interested in trade for hydro swing sawther of equal price.

That doesn't sound like too bad of a deal at all,...

As someone has already mentioned, with a 530, you would have to back up to dump a bale when baling,... but you would also have to do the same with a 510.

pjmo

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Round Balers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

been using a 510 the last 4 years bought it for $1800 put a tire on it, shortened one bottom belt by splicing an inch with lacing, which stopped it from rolling over, added a few pickup teeth the first year 300 bales pulled it with dad's 60 up and down hills. the 2nd year got my young'en an 80 in it's work clothes 250 bales. the third year a stick got wedged under a bottom belt and started a fire. Fortunatly had a jug of cold water not completely frozen on board and quenched it without setting the field afire or much damage too the baler by spraing out of my mouth, A fireextinqusher, squritgun with some capasity. Then 3 bearings 2 chains and a sprocket/idler on the left side 260+ bales also lunched the pto cluch on the 80 which I had been nursing allong. I figured out that the bearing was hot when I stopped the pto too eject the bale but was carring the bale back too the barn as the bale was nolonger rolling it ignited. Again I had my water and I dumped the bale. u can squirt water too see how hot the bearing might be before touching it with your hand. turn the machine off first. Safty first... This yrar new pto clutch and have rolled up 38 bale this last week on 40 acres that the cows grazed. hope the weather holds as we got rain lastnite and today plan on baleing intoo Nov. As I now have 2 bottom belts with splices I've been thinking of replacing all 7 bottom and shoup has upper belt with texture for about $2500 total all new belts then 1 more tire and a few more bearings a couple of hoses it should be good for the next 10 years I'll have less than $6000 in it. I'll probably never bale more than 400 bales a year probably only 200 somthing. If anyone has done this I would like too read about your experiance. If you start a bale with a fatter windrow you don't stress the belts, don't run the baler empty with the gate closed as the lower belting pulls at the lacing on the upper belts. get a nice big clump of hay in the baler right away all the way accross which seperates the belting then go get those spindley windrows. I mow with a 9' sickel and rake/bale on the 3rd day when every thing is nice and krispy no problems. I do slow down for big clumps as it tends too choke espically when your not ready too stop. Don't fertilize. I've been looking at 466/467/468s for a deal but the cheep ($9000) seem too be high use and surely need $3000+- parts and work and then it would be nice too have a cab tractor too. The bales shed water and when lined up in a rows with a couple of feet between don't spoil very much. There loose enough that the cows don't pull their teeth out eating them and the 60 can pick then up. Mostly I unroll them as all the cows can eat not just the dominate, good luck pj

dmiller
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Round Balers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A bit far from me, Montana.

kyhayman
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Round Balers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Getting into round bales a good idea? It depends on if you are feeding or selling. If you are feeding, absolutely. If you are selling, that depends on your local market. As to the 510, I think that may be a closed throat baler. If it is, and they pay you to take it, it is still too expensive.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.