Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

wood stove flue

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bkpigs
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:53 pm    Post subject: wood stove flue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

gettin closer to finishing my shop at the house (hopefully just temporary) and trying to sort out how I am gonna route the chimney flue. Thinking that going staight up through the roof would be the best as compared to through the wall and then up. My only question is where is the best place to purchase/research the products available? Lowes and Home Depot are nearly useless and seem over priced. Thanks in advance!!!

Casey in Ky
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: wood stove flue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Google is your friend. There is a wealth of information online. I"m in the process of installing a wood burning insert. My local Tractor Supply is decent, much better than Lowes. But I also found several mom and pop harware and lumber company"s that specialize in wood burning stoves and inserts. Check out several of the brands, Lennox Hearth products, Joutel, Buck, Regency just to name a few. Go to there websites and search for dealers. Most of these stove dealers can fix you right up with double or triple wall stove pipe and thru the wall or roof kits.

timvt
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:05 am    Post subject: Re: wood stove flue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When I went to the local TSC store to look at wood furnaces, I asked the clerk what he could tell me about that wood furnace. His reply,"nuthing". My reply, is there anybody here that can? His reply,"not right now". I replied, See ya. Went to the local stove store and bought a wood furnace for one hungred dollars more, but did bussines with the owner. He cared. Furnace works great. Go to a local store, you may spend a little more money, but you"ll deal with some one who gives a hoot.

gtractorfan
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:19 am    Post subject: Re: wood stove flue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

While I was growing up my parents had two stoves that burned wood or coal, 1 in the house, 1 in the shop. Both of them had brick chimneys. With both the flue pipe from the stove fed into the brick chimney about 6 feet above the floor. Near the bottom of the brick chimney was a soot clean out door.

All the years I grew up they never had a chimney fire. As the chimney gets hot the creosote dries, becomes soot and drops down below where the flue pipe connects. To me that's the best way to hook up a flue (and even better if you had a liner inside the brick chimney). The stuff that falls off needs somewhere to go. Others may have a different opinion on this.

VaTom
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: wood stove flue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I keep as much black pipe inside the building as I can. Heating the neighborhood doesn't work very well. Exiting near the peak means minimal insulated pipe to buy. A chicken ladder lives on my shop roof for cleaning.

I have always been successful finding used insulated pipe, removed from a house where the stove was rarely fired.

PetemiddleTN
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: wood stove flue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Built my chimney this fall and went through the roof from the basement. Went through the roof the nearest the peak of my roof as possible. I looked at several products and decided on Metalbest. I am very pleased with the quality and lengths came in 4 foot sections. The wood stove I purchased was a drolet (canadian eh). Thus far have taken a couple great naps in front of the stove.

wilder11354
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: wood stove flue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Depends on clearances from combustibles(wood framing, roof wood sheathing). really don't recommend any single wall flues anymore. there are doublewall non insulated flues, that have SS inner flue liner with steel outer cover. these are good for 6" combutible clearances.
Double wall insulated flues are inner and outer stainless flues and are very durable for longevity to burning residue in fuel and to weather outside building. are good for 2" combustible clearances. Lots on info at Slekirk, Duravent on line at companies websites. what types are available and how to use. Prices though are only from places that sell it.

David Snipes

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: wood stove flue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I got tired of burning out my shop chimney pipe every couple of years, so I built a chimney out of an old steel well casing. It should last a long time. It was so heavy I had to use an engine crane to lift it in place.

bison
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: wood stove flue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I used an old 6" grain auger tube from the stove to the ceiling in my shop.
Beats these coke can stove pipe sections

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.