Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CA PTO clicking

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TFLundyB275
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:19 pm    Post subject: CA PTO clicking Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi, I have seen other posts concerning this problem, but with no answer. I thought I'd try and add some more info.

I was using my Allis CA to power my cordwood saw for this seasons firewood. First time using the belt since Ive gotten the tractor three years ago. On the first day of sawing, after about 3 hours, it happened out of the blue, on at idle.

Its a click-click-click from the pto area. Now this seems to be from the pto, and not the hydraulics. With no load, the clicking will start after a certain RPM is reached from releasing the clutch. Using the hydraulics does not have any affect on the sound. Tractor has no other problems since.

When I first got her I did a do over and put in a new pto bearing, also making sure the the four hydraulic values were free. Everything inside looked solid and clean. Using fresh hydratrans in it now. Cant remember if I did a new belt pullet bearing, but I imagine I did.

So, whats causing the noise? Safe to use or no?

Dick L
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: CA PTO clicking Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have you checked the pully to make sure the nut is tight? My guess would be a loose pulley or the belt lacing is starting to come apart. I can not hear it but shouldn't be any thing inside that would just click unless the pulley shaft nut didn't get staked and came loose some.

TFLundyB275
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: CA PTO clicking Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for responding. The pulley is tight. And the clicking occurs with the belt on or off.

I did forget in my original post this bit of information. With the tractor off, I can turn the pto by hand. It is smooth turning, except this one spot is noticeably different. I imagine that spot is what is making the click, but what "that" is I dont know?

Aaron SEIA
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: CA PTO clicking Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is the click at the same point in every rotation? You might have a bent or missing tooth on a gear.
AaronSEIA

Brian Jasper co. Ia
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: CA PTO clicking Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Most likely it is the hydraulic pump. There are 4 plungers that are spring loaded with roller followers on cams on the pto shaft. I found on my CA that it had a plunger spring broken. The plunger was stuck in all the way so the follower just flopped around making a clicking noise.

TFLundyB275
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: CA PTO clicking Reply to specific post Reply with quote

looks like the only way Im going to figure this out is pulling the pump off and giving it a look see. The hydraulic pump works like it always have..so not sure if its going to be that. It did have a stuck valve on it when I first got it, but I fixed that...believe it was stuck because the trans oil was water contaminated for who knows how long. Perhaps it would be good if it was the pump..rather fix that then a broken gear or something.

TFLundyB275
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: CA PTO clicking *problem found* Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I wanted to post an update for future reference.

I pulled the pump off today. It is indeed the same problem I "fixed" when I went over everything the first time. The pump has three plungers in a row starting from the front. The 4th/rearmost position is a valve. That valve is now stuck half way in, and it was stuck the first time around as well.

So the roller knocks against it making the tap/clicking sound with the pto/belt engaged.

The hydraulics still worked with no load which made questionable it was a pump problem without pulling it apart.

Fluid was new and clean hydtrans.

The valve in question was freed, cleaned and polished before reassembly the first time. Assembled nice, valve stuck again after approx. 2 hours of pto use.

Anyone know why this valve gets stuck?

Last edited by TFLundyB275 on Mon May 06, 2013 10:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Allis Chalmers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.