Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Detroit diesel 453N timing gears

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeS806/H
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:32 pm    Post subject: Detroit diesel 453N timing gears Reply to specific post Reply with quote

working on a 453N detroit timing gears stripped on cam, balance shaft and blower, what would cause this problem? engine looks like it was rebuilt not long ago.

MikeS806/H
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Detroit diesel 453N timing gears Reply to specific post Reply with quote

also where is a good place to find timing gears reasonable? I have the newer style fine tooth gears

NCWayne
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Detroit diesel 453N timing gears Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've rebuilt Detroits that had been in operation for 40 years and have never seen one strip the timing gears. Heck most of them didn't even show an appreciable amount of wear on the gears, much less being even close to being stripped. That said I can't think of anything off the top of my head that would have the power to hang anything in the timing up to the point that the gears would strip. I say that because to strip them something would have had to have brought the whole works to a screaching halt while the crank continued to turn long enough to strip them. Heck even a stop as violent and suddern of a stop as happens when something gets thrown into the blower and locks it up is more likely to twist off the blower drive shaft than it is to do anything else. Funny thing is that shaft is driven off of the same gearset your talking about so why wouldn't they even try to strip in that instance but do so in another?

If you ever figure out what did it please post back and let us know. You've definately got my curiousity up on this one.

VicS
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Detroit diesel 453N timing gears Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I can't imagine them striping unless someone put in the old noisy gears or vice-versa. I have had my blower lock up, not enough end play. killed the motor. I have the number of a guy who has at least 50 of these gears. He is located in southern Il. Mt. Carmel Dick Walker 618 948 2714 . Vic

counterclockwise
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Detroit diesel 453N timing gears Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There is a 1900 Oliver with a 453 on ebay now. It is being sold piece by piece for parts. Two days left. Might want to watch it.

mite-help
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Detroit diesel 453N timing gears Reply to specific post Reply with quote

New one--surely will have valve train/ piston contact damage also--I'd also like to know what happened----

Bob Huntress
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Detroit diesel 453N timing gears Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"what would cause this problem?"

Very bad lubrication, like none. I mean what does the oil pump look like? When they put the engine back together did they even put an oil pump in it?

MikeS806/H
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Detroit diesel 453N timing gears Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I didnt take the oil pump apart, I removed a rod cap and the bearing looked great, the engine was very low on oil but with the bearing looking good it must of been getting some oil

MikeS806/H
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Detroit diesel 453N timing gears Reply to specific post Reply with quote

yes there is some bent valves

Bob Huntress
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Detroit diesel 453N timing gears Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Based on the bearings lower being good, and the pressure being low, I'm guessing that either insufficient oil or a plugged gallery, as opposed to dirty or bad oil. Can you post pics of the wiped parts?

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Detroit diesel 453N timing gears Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Either a runaway which whacked the valves into the pistons and locked the cam from rotating.
Or somebody mixed the old soft gears with the later hardened gears.

Jon Hagen
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Detroit diesel 453N timing gears Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had a 4-53 4 valve motor out of a truck that Broke rather than burned up the drive gears. The previous owner said they thought a bit of metal trash either from the valve gear or dumped in with the oil, went through that rear head drain hole and fell into the gears.

That explanation must have been right, as I replaced only the gears and the bent valves on 1 cylinder. Ran the engine trouble free for years after that.

MikeS806/H
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Detroit diesel 453N timing gears Reply to specific post Reply with quote

just posted some pic"s

Bob Huntress
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Detroit diesel 453N timing gears Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mike did you clean those parts up?

MikeS806/H
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Detroit diesel 453N timing gears Reply to specific post Reply with quote

nope I didnt clean them, engine is very clean inside

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.