Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1948 VF4 Wisconsin

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dunky
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:19 am    Post subject: 1948 VF4 Wisconsin Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm brand new to this forum and to air cooled stationary engines so i could use some advice. I have a bandsaw mill and of course that means i have slabwood which I use for firewood. I have a cord wood saw that i want to power and i was thinking about using a Wisconsin VF4 (not a VF4D) to power this saw rig.

Here's my question(s)
Any reason this would not be a good choiice for a saw rig in Minnesota?

What shoudl I expect to pay for this motor? I found a 1948 VF4 owner says he went through the heads and pistons about 5 years ago hasnt been run for about 4 years but is stored inside. engine appears to be complete and is not stuck. It has a clutch and gearbox. He is asking $400 as is. is that a fair price?

greygoat
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1948 VF4 Wisconsin Reply to specific post Reply with quote

VF4 is a standard engine. VF4D is a "Heavy Duty"
engine, as designated when manufactured, and
has Stellite valves, and hardened valve seats.
The "D" version is better for todays unleaded gas
Wisconsins are notorious for valves getting
stuck if they've been sitting around. Before
purchase, pull the plugs, shine a flashlight
down the plug holes, and make sure you can see
the valves opening and closeing when turning the engine over.Get a Wisconsin
owners and parts manual.
there are a hundred listed on e-bay,search under "Wisconsin Engine Parts". The manual says to pull
plugs and squirt oil down valve stems, before
storeing. If your engine has a magneto, parts,by
magneto model number, are redily available from
This, Y/T website, or "Branson Magneto", at www.
branson enterprises.com. Carb kits and gaskets
are available from NAPA auto parts. Wisconsin
motors are still in business, making engines, and
parts are still available from them, through the
distributors, but priced as if they are gold.

Dunky
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1948 VF4 Wisconsin Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice! i plan to look at the engine agin next week and make a decision. From what i hear $400-$500 isnt a bad price either.

Dunky

greygoat
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1948 VF4 Wisconsin Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've got 12, Wisconsin 2 cylinder engines.
The most that I've ever paid was $300 for one
with a hand clutch and reduction gear box that
gave 540 RPM PTO speed when running at "About"
2800 engine RPM. My last 2 purchases were $35
at a May auction for a complete, running engine,
with hand clutch, and $40 for an electric start model, complete, but with no spark,needs Magneto
looked at.
My opinion is that $400 is very expensive for
one, unless its a "D" version, and has electric
start.I'm in Western Wisconsin.All of the Amish
around here are replaceing Wisconsins with
Hondas, Kabotas, or other Japanese engines due
to Wisconsins being ornery and parts expensive.
Most of them don't seem to know that most parts
are still available from NAPA.

JOB
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1948 VF4 Wisconsin Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If it is not electric start I would not pay $400.00
for the engine. I used to have a VP4 on a saw rig
and got tired of the crank. A crank start Wisconsin
can be a miserable piece of______. If that engine
has a gear reduction gear box on it you will need to
get pulleys to give you 10,000 feet per minute on
the saw blade.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Stationary Engines All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.