Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

how big?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
atwater
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: how big? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

bought this AR puller recently. looks like a fair amount of clearance work has been done but the cam appears to not have been notched. assuming a 3" pin and billet rods how long of a crank do you think should fit? i also have a 6-3 PB sitting here in need of new sleeves + pistons.
trying to sell a 51 mi and 43 a to help raise funds.

atwater
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: how big? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

forgot to add photos.
i had not noticed until i took the cover off but they had a patch on top of the case between the crankcase cover and govenor.

JD G 51 puller

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: how big? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Something doesn't look right. It doesnt come close to hitting the crankcase cover. My guess someone put the stock crank back in. But anyhow stock rods 7 3/4 with cam notch, 9 3/4 with 4020 rods and cam notch. Go big or go home:)

atwater
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: how big? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

yes it is the stock stroke hence why it needs some"help"
i have never stroked one before and was wondering how much stroke could be safely run with a clearanced cam and what has already been done to the case.
can a powerblock be bored and resleeved to 6.5 and still be reliable? or are you stuck with the typical 6.125?

BushogPapa
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: how big? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ray at "Extreme" can tell you what can be done with your PB..

Ron..

Mike N Mo
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: how big? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you want a reliable crank, go with a 9" or 9.125" with a 3" pin. There are some 9.25"/3" pin out there, but you'll probably break camshafts.

As far as your 6-3 powerblock, I'm not sure a 6.5" sleeve can be fitted in there. The earlier blocks are much better to work with because there's only 6 block-to-crankcase bolts to work around instead of 8. Also, the chances of having sleeves welded in and not leaking water are pretty slim. If you do go that route, I suggest using a cast or ductle iron sleeve material rather than a steel sleeve that typically has been used in blocks that have the welded-in-sleeves. If you want a reliable big bore block for a late A (to replace a 6-3), talk to Jeff at Murphys Motor Service. He has a good solution that works well. If you're on a budget and have to choose between a stroked crank or a big bore block, I'd do a stroked crank first, seems to get you more power/dollar spent. Good luck, Mike

Deere power
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: how big? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

9 1/4 will fit just fine just notch camshaft and notch sleeves so the rods miss

jd b puller
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: how big? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

atwater wrote:
(quoted from post at 23:58:02 12/19/11) bought this AR puller recently. looks like a fair amount of clearance work has been done but the cam appears to not have been notched. assuming a 3" pin and billet rods how long of a crank do you think should fit? i also have a 6-3 PB sitting here in need of new sleeves + pistons.
trying to sell a 51 mi and 43 a to help raise funds.

Someone else may chime in and correct me but I was thinking that the AR was quite a bit heavier than the A. The 43A might be a better choice to turn into a puller. The AR would also likely have more value to it and be able to put more $ into the 43A.

I've sleeved dozens of Powerblocks, most to 6.125" (you can bore them to 6.125", the ones I sleeved were broken sleeves), and several to 6.25". 6.375" looks doable (and rugged), but 6.5" looks to be pushing the limits a little.

atwater
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: how big? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

tractor has already been modified quite abit fenders were bobbed. platform was modified as well. i think with no weight added this ar would be about 5000 lbs as is. of course with some work more could be dropped.

gwhva
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: how big? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Was this tractor purchased at the NYS JD Expo last year?

atwater
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: how big? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

gwhva wrote:
(quoted from post at 01:40:30 09/17/12) Was this tractor purchased at the NYS JD Expo last year?

yes was dynoed at 38 Embarassed altough for what i paid i was ok with it.

John 37A
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: how big? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Can you postsome more pics of the tractor?

atwater
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: how big? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

John 37A wrote:
(quoted from post at 00:40:08 09/19/12) Can you postsome more pics of the tractor?

i try to get some better ones tomorrow.

John 37A
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: how big? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks, looks like a neat tractor. I'm getting more and more into variations from row crop models as pullers.

atwater
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: how big? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

John 37A wrote:
(quoted from post at 01:55:31 09/19/12) Thanks, looks like a neat tractor. I'm getting more and more into variations from row crop models as pullers.

not very good pics but the best i could find at the moment

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Pulling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.