Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New cell phone rules

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
john in la
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:35 pm    Post subject: New cell phone rules Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I wonder how long it will take (if ever) for them to make this the law for all drivers??

U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood today announced a final rule specifically prohibiting interstate truck and bus drivers from using hand-held cell phones while operating their vehicles.

Drivers who violate the restriction will face federal civil penalties of up to $2,750 for each offense and disqualification from operating a commercial motor vehicle for multiple offenses.

The States have three years to implement by State law the disqualification provision for intrastate drivers.

Q: What is the effective date of the Mobile Telephone rule?
A: The effective date of the rule is January 3, 2012.

Q: Are wired or wireless earpieces allowed?
A: Yes.

Q: Is Push-to-Talk allowed?
A: No

Q: Is dialing a phone number allowed under this rule?
A: No.

Q: Can a driver reach for a mobile telephone even if he/she intends to use the hands-free function?
A: No
Final Rule That Bans Hand Held Cell Phone Use

ShadetreeRet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: New cell phone rules Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I know banning all drivers has been mentioned. I heard one comment that he couldn't conduct business without a cell phone in his car. Question, How did he conduct business before the cell phone? (Well, maybe he isn't that old.)

ShadetreeRet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: New cell phone rules Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hmmmm, I hate to put ideas into anyone's head, but wonder if they're gonna ban CB radios too?

john in la
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: New cell phone rules Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No
It is in the rule already.

john in la
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: New cell phone rules Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Banning all drivers would be political suicide.
It will never happen.

john in la
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: New cell phone rules Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here is the long winded version of the rule.
66 pages long
49 CFR Parts 177, 383, 384, 390, 391, and 392

casenut1
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: New cell phone rules Reply to specific post Reply with quote

just read an article that wireless ones are just as bad.they distract the mind from driving as you are concentrating on the conversation.

John730D
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: New cell phone rules Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That is why I have bluetooth in my CB radio. And it is not a push to talk. Just looks like I am talking on the CB.

And I am a semi driver.

Shetland Sheepdog
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: New cell phone rules Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"Just read that wireless are just as bad---etc"

Are they also going to ban conversation with other occupants of a vehicle?
Just wondering ---

rustyfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: New cell phone rules Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Shetland Sheepdog wrote:
(quoted from post at 06:20:29 12/20/11) "Just read that wireless are just as bad---etc"

Are they also going to ban conversation with other occupants of a vehicle?
Just wondering ---

Only when the driver and other occupant are both blonds. Laughing Very Happy

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: New cell phone rules Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'd be all for bluetooth / handfree com in an auto.. but if they ban that.. then yeah.. they might as well just ban talking or listening to the radio... latest witch hunt to solve a different problem...

RandyB(MI)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: New cell phone rules Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I guess in this day of liberalism we all forget that driving a vehicle on a public road is still a "privelege" and not a "right" and as such comes with certain requirements to protect others on the road with you from you. Why do we have to stop at a stop sign out in bum-f if there is not another car in sight? Why no crying about the window tint laws?And the poster below stated a very valid point about the "nessessity" of cell phones or other "entertainment " devices....what did you do before they were here??? Must have just been torture to even drive! I don't like "Big Brother" butting in either but since humans are incapable of policing theirselves , it's better than dieing at the hands of an idiot. I can handle 6 beers without feeling it so don't tell me I can't drive afterwords.

mkirsch
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: New cell phone rules Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just like the hands-free laws, a no-cell-phones-period law will quietly be passed in the background while nobody is looking. The first you'll hear of it is a month or so before it takes effect, and by then it will be too late.

Nobody will take credit for the law and nobody will ever know who sponsored it, because they know it will be unpopular.

How do you enforce it? Is that guy talking on the phone or singing along with the radio or practicing a speech or talking to a small child in the back seat?

Even with the laws we have, people STILL talk on their cell phones all the time and cause all sorts of havoc, yet never get busted. When they do get busted, half the time they are legitimately surprised that it's illegal!

You're never going to get the stupid and ignorant to comply no matter what you do.

rustyfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: New cell phone rules Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Obviously the fact that driving IS a full time job and requires your undivided attention is NOT being taught in drivers education anymore. I would like to see an electronic device built into every car and truck that automatically disables a cell phone as soon as the transmission is taken out of park.

farmer boy
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: New cell phone rules Reply to specific post Reply with quote

They already have laws in place in Ontario. No cell phones, no mp3. There is currently a grace period on cb's and a few other devices. Not sure on dialing numbers and picking up a call. The fine is only $155 with no points and no insurance repercusions

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Transporting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.