Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

wooden deck preservation?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ralph Bauer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: wooden deck preservation? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just bought a tilt deck trailer (locally shop made) that has all the wooden decking rotted away. need to replace it. What's the most cost effective (pine, oak, else, treated, untreated, etc.) way to replace and treat the 2x??x96 boards? Trailer is 96" (outside of metal frame), boards run side to side with metal cross-members flush with floor every ~6ft.
Been told to use Thompson deck preserver, but also use used motor oil and brush that on instead...
Any and all feedback appreciated. (Metal decking not doable without additional cross framing). Thanks, Ralph.

scotc
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: wooden deck preservation? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you've got the old oil use it. If you have to buy something you may as well get Thompson's or some linseed oil or some other water repellant like that.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: wooden deck preservation? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I used to swear by Thompsons, but it depends what you are putting it on. Pine or yellow pine will suck it in but I found that on fir decking that it doesn't penetrate at all.

J.Wondergem
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: wooden deck preservation? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use White Oak, and Thompsons on mine.

rustyfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: wooden deck preservation? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ralph Bauer wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:34:58 01/03/12) Just bought a tilt deck trailer (locally shop made) that has all the wooden decking rotted away. need to replace it. What's the most cost effective (pine, oak, else, treated, untreated, etc.) way to replace and treat the 2x??x96 boards? Trailer is 96" (outside of metal frame), boards run side to side with metal cross-members flush with floor every ~6ft.
Been told to use Thompson deck preserver, but also use used motor oil and brush that on instead...
Any and all feedback appreciated. (Metal decking not doable without additional cross framing). Thanks, Ralph.

My trailer is 10 years old. It sets outside all the time. I have been treating it with used motor oil at least once and sometimes twice per year. I pick a day in the hot summer and pour the oil on heavy enough that it takes a few days for it to completely soak in. The wood looks every bit as good today as it did when the trailer was brand new.

ShepFL
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: wooden deck preservation? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I do the same as rustyfarmall

Ralph Bauer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: wooden deck preservation? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Did you start out with treated or untreated wood?

rustyfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: wooden deck preservation? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ralph Bauer wrote:
(quoted from post at 12:18:59 01/04/12) Did you start out with treated or untreated wood?

My trailer came with pressure treated wood. Most likely it is pine.

mkirsch
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: wooden deck preservation? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Whatever you do I think it's a good idea to treat the board BEFORE you install it.

Otherwise, there will be areas on the board covered up by the trailer framework that will not get treated. This will also be where the moisture gets trapped. Bad news.

The edges and underside will not get the full treatment either because it's not easy to get to them. Looks good on top but rots from underneath.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: wooden deck preservation? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i'd get the old style pt boards, then paint liberally! with asphalt fence paint.

probably goog for over a decade that way...

soundguy

mj
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: wooden deck preservation? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

ShepFL wrote:
(quoted from post at 12:53:29 01/04/12) I do the same as rustyfarmall

Ditto Cool

dpendzic
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: wooden deck preservation? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

By marine grade pressure treated sheathing that"s treated to 2.5 lbs per CF.Southern Pine or Douglass fir--Douglas fir may have to be incised to get that retention. Rough sawn is generally cheaper and stronger than S4S lumber place decking with the sapwood up.

Hill-Billy Rock-Star
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: wooden deck preservation? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I sure hope all you guys that use Used oil don't live around me. I like my water clean.

MisterT
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: wooden deck preservation? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hill-Billy Rock-Star wrote:
(quoted from post at 06:06:39 01/29/12) I sure hope all you guys that use Used oil don't live around me. I like my water clean.

Do you know that most commercial wood preservatives contain arsenic? Would you rather have arsenic getting into your ground water?

dixon boy RL
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: wooden deck preservation? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I did mine with a bedliner rollon kit from lowes. has work reall good so far on its third year of use

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Transporting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.