Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ford 4000 3 point hitch

View previous topic :: View next topic  
warren Roberts
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Ford 4000 3 point hitch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello: The hydraulics on my 3 point hitch have been sporadic lately. It pretty much comes up when it wants. Also there is no middle ground either it is all up or all down. Can someone give me some pointers on how to fix this?

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 4000 3 point hitch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

3 cyl or 4 cyl... huge difference in the plumbing of the hyd system. ps.. if a 4000 su, / 3 cyl, mention that.. etc..

have you made sure you are not in draft mode.

hyd oil at correct level and clean?

post back

warren Roberts
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 4000 3 point hitch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The tractor is a 3 cyl diesel. I am not sure about the "Draft" as I have never tried to use it nor would I know how. I replaced the oil about a year ago and I have only had the tractor out 2 or 3 hours since so I am assuming the oil is OK

Sean in PA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 4000 3 point hitch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There is a small lever just forward of the base of the main 3 point control handle. That lever is called the "Position control selector". It switches the hydraulics between position control mode and draft control mode. It is in draft control mode when the lever is pointing down, and position control mode when it is pointing horizontal, toward the front of the tractor. Position control means that the position of the large 3 point control handle controls the position of the 3 point lift arms. Draft control means that the control handle tells the system how hard you want an implement like a plow to dig in to the ground, not specifically how high or low to move the arms, just how hard to dig, so that when an obstruction like harder soil is encountered, the implement will actually raise up without you having to touch the control handle, and then when the ground becomes softer again it will lower back down.

If the Position Control selector is in the draft control mode position, it will raise the arms all of the way up at the highest position of the control handle and lower the arms all of the way down at the lowest position, but will vary when the control handle is anywhere in between the full up and full down positions depending on whether you have a light or heavy implement attached, or no implement at all.

If the Position control selector is anywhere in between draft control mode and position control mode, then it will definitely be sporadic and unpredictable.

Make sure that the position control selector is in the full up horizontal position.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 4000 3 point hitch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i'd never assume anything on oil.

verify first. if it's low it could cause this issue.

next thing is to check or flow.. you can pull the pipe plug in the 3x5 option cover on the front right side of the hyd cover... if there is fluid flowing there, but the 3pt won't move, then the unload valve may be sticking..

if there is no oil there.. or foam.. or bubbles.. there are other issues...

post back

soundguy

warren Roberts
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 4000 3 point hitch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank You all for your suggestions, I will not be back to my property where the tractor is stored until the 28th of January. I will look at it then and let you know what I find.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 4000 3 point hitch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

post back when ya do.

soundguy

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.