Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ONAN Gen Problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
biggerred
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: ONAN Gen Problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Im working on an Onan Gererator for a machinest frient of mine, he does machine work for me, I do tractor work (or try to anyway) for him. Anyway, he traded for a non running generator, that I've managed to get running, but only as long as you hold in the start switch. Seems to me there should be some type of holding relay to keep it running once it starts, but it won't. There are 2 small relays, one that feeds the coil, and the other one,,,,,?? There no model numbers on the unit so I've included a pic.

J.T.L.
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: ONAN Gen Problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You may also be able to get some info from this site.

John
Onan Gen Message Board

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: ONAN Gen Problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

biggerred wrote:
(quoted from post at 23:48:55 01/13/12) Im working on an Onan Gererator for a machinest frient of mine, he does machine work for me, I do tractor work (or try to anyway) for him. Anyway, he traded for a non running generator, that I've managed to get running, but only as long as you hold in the start switch. Seems to me there should be some type of holding relay to keep it running once it starts, but it won't. There are 2 small relays, one that feeds the coil, and the other one,,,,,?? There no model numbers on the unit so I've included a pic.
Not familiar with that unit, but some Onans kill ign when oil pressure is lost and some look at battery charging generator output to determine that engine is running & use this signal to stop the starter. HTH

REXBEAVERS
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: ONAN Gen Problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i just worked on one like the one you are there is a relay in the control panal it should be a clear plastic relay one inch wide by 2 inch long it should have 4 wires that plug in it

Billy Shafer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: ONAN Gen Problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Should be a BFA. Look under the band over the brushes. You will find a resistor. If it is open it will run until you let go of the switch. Low oil pressure switch will also do it. But more common was a bad resistor. Look on top of the block for six numbers stamped into the block. That is the serial number. With it I can find out what you have.Also don't run it with the cover off of the head it will over heat. Short runs for testing are ok.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Stationary Engines All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.