Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sandblasting?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
504BalerGuy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: Sandblasting? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am working on restoring a 1/16 IH 856 and a IH disc that is of the same time frame. I have a small Craftsman siphon sandblaster and would like to use this to remove the paint. I am worried that sand will be to aggresive for die cast. What do you guys use to clean older toys for restoring?
Thank You,
James

gtractorfan
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Sandblasting? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've never sandblasted die cast, but couldn't you try it with the gun held farther than usual from your project... like on the bottom first?

Mitchissippi
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Sandblasting? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Let"r Rip! As long as your blast media isn"t too aggressive, you"ll be fine. I use glass beads that are like 80 grit paper. It leaves a very slight roughness to the diecast, but your first coat of primer will hide it completely.

I blast them, shot them with a self-etching primer, lightly (600 grit) sand the flat (sheet metal) areas, shoot a good coat of filler primer, body putty any imperfections you want to hide, shoot those spots with another coat of filler primer, repeat with putty if neccesary, wet sand the easy areas with 600, and shoot paint.

I have wet sanded the paint and re-shot to get a really pretty finish.

Mitch

rustyplow
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Sandblasting? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Research "Soda blaster". Never done it yet but thats what the local sandblaster guy told me.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Memorabilia All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.