Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UPDATE: To buy a trailer or not, and if, what kind?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ralph Bauer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:40 am    Post subject: UPDATE: To buy a trailer or not, and if, what kind? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for all your input. After considering all (+/-), I settled for a 23+5 GN, triple single 7K. I know the triples will be harder to turn than but more stable, also thinking of getting a 1t dually, found a couple older prospects (one's a 89 F350 with Intl. diesel, 7.3l). Triples were much cheaper than dual tandems,(1800 and up) ....allowed me to get a couple options on it that I wanted. And I will not overload it....!!.lol (wife got a friend who works for OHP, weight div.....)
Thanks again! Ralph in OK.

430WLPG
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: UPDATE: To buy a trailer or not, and if, what kind? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ralph If you're going older Ford a newer 94 up powerstroke would be a better choice a 89 is a good engine but not a very strong puller unless it has very low rear axle

1206SWMO
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: UPDATE: To buy a trailer or not, and if, what kind? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ralph,believe me you dont want a F-350 with a 7.3 IDI....They were good old engines but just dont have the power to pull a big load...At 45-50 mph mine would only get 6-7 mpg pulling a trailer no matter what I had on the trailer..This was a 5 speed with 4.10 gears..

1206SWMO
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: UPDATE: To buy a trailer or not, and if, what kind? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ralph,believe me you dont want a F-350 with a 7.3 IDI....They were good old engines but just dont have the power to pull a big load...At 45-50 mph mine would only get 6-7 mpg pulling a trailer no matter what I had on the trailer..This was a 5 speed with 4.10 gears..

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: UPDATE: To buy a trailer or not, and if, what kind? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

the 7.3lidi is a rock solid engine.. but might have breathing problems at high speed on the interstate pulling a large laod. the updated ats turbo added in 93.5 would help.. or.. go 94.5 and up and get the powerstroke.

I have a 350 and 450 99 7.3psd dually.. love em...

soudnguy

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: UPDATE: To buy a trailer or not, and if, what kind? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

ps.. don't get crazy on the rear end.. low gears are fine.. but they limit your top end speed, and will make you drink more fuel at high speed.

my 99 450 has a 4.88 rear.. at 72mph i'm turning 2750 rpm.. as you know that engine starts redlineing at about 3300 or 3400.. thus I run synthetic oil.. I once made a hul .. 14k on my gooseneck.. ran 75.. got about 4.5mpg

next tiem I made that haul I dropped to 67-72.. and got 9mpg huge difference.

My 350 has 4.10 gears. much better choice for towing. still decent power.. and ok interstate speed. better power than a 3.73 the other common rear end for them fords..

soundguy

Ralph Bauer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: UPDATE: To buy a trailer or not, and if, what kind? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input. The 7.3 I was looking at is an automatic... 3+OD and it shifted a bit squirly.... won't buy it. The other one was already gone.
I'll keep looking, no hurry on my part.

Iowa Jim
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: UPDATE: To buy a trailer or not, and if, what kind? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A triple 7,000 axle trailer combined with any pickup gets you over the magic 26,001 # mark.

Ralph Bauer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: UPDATE: To buy a trailer or not, and if, what kind? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I know, thanks!

730d se
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: UPDATE: To buy a trailer or not, and if, what kind? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am sure that you are aware that it is not just the "load" that places you in CDL territory, it is the capabilty. You can be bone empty in a rig that has a combined gross weight limit of more than 26,001 LBS and you are as guilty as a guy that is loaded but not overloaded.
This has really gotten to be a slippery slope, especially since so many people were cheating by using the wrong tags, farm tags, running at night, etc.
Have your wallet open when they pull you, it is never cheap.

d beatty

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: UPDATE: To buy a trailer or not, and if, what kind? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jim what size truck are you pulling a tri axle with. When i used to have to scale before loading My single axle semi tractor with a 48 foot trailer would scale out at empty at 26,600 lbs. The new 21,000 lbs. tri axle (bumper or GN) run between 5,200 and 6,600 lbs. I know of no factory made pickup that weights 19,000 lbs.

730d se
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: UPDATE: To buy a trailer or not, and if, what kind? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The basic issue is not the actual weight of each unit, but the total gross weight rating.
If his trailer weight rating is 21,000 LBS, that leaves only 5,000 LBS weight rating for the towing vehicle.
Not going to find a truck with a 5,000 LB or less rating that will pull the trailer.
Again, it is not just about the load, it is about the capabilty of the two together, no matter if empty, loaded, or worse yet, over loaded which gets you in much deeper in your wallet.
He will need at minumum a CDL, million in liabilty, fuel tax and filing all of that every 3 months, etc.
It is more trouble that is is worth unless you are running a full on hauling service, in which case you would likely have a semi.

ARCADIAINC
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: UPDATE: To buy a trailer or not, and if, what kind? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have a 1991 7.3 f-250 with a five speed. She pulls a 5000 pound machine with authority and does not do badly on fuel. 12-14 mpg. Running with no load I get 18-19 mpg. The truck is trouble free and easy to like.

Iowa Jim
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: UPDATE: To buy a trailer or not, and if, what kind? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It has nothing to do with the actual weight of the vehicles, rather the GVWR. A triple 7,000 axle trailer will be 21,000 a typical pickup will have a GVWR in the 8,000 range (mine has 10,000), couple those together and you are well over the magic 26,001 lb threshold where everything gets really interesting.

Jim

Ralph Bauer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: UPDATE: To buy a trailer or not, and if, what kind? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Great discussion, however, I am planning on strictly following the Farm exemption here in OK (truck and trailer), so I will be fine. Granted, if I were to venture into TX, where they may not have a reciprocating agreement, it will look different. but ODOT does a good job listing and explaining it for OK farmers, OK farm use, and OK requirements.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Transporting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.