Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Three-state haul

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mkirsch
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:28 am    Post subject: Three-state haul Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've never crossed state lines hauling anything appreciable. Usually a 1/2 ton truck with a small trailer.

So I want to go from Rochester NY down to Maryland with my truck and trailer to pick up a tractor for my collection. I've got a Chevy 3500 dually and a 7-ton deckover, so plenty of capacity. This'll be my first "big" haul.

Totally non-commercial. I will be hauling personal property for personal use.

Problem is, I'm sure I LOOK commercial. I don't want any trouble with the DOT.

If I'm gonna do this what am I gonna need to keep the fuzz off my back? DOT number on the truck/trailer? "NOT FOR HIRE" sign?

It's a crap shoot. Ask three different DOT officers a yes/no question, and get three different answers.

jbordelon
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Three-state haul Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't have an answer for you, but I understand your frustration. I, too, talked to three different DOT officers regarding the requirement of fenders on my trailer in Mississippi. The first two didn't know, the third told me that question has never come up but he "figures I'll be fine". Rolling Eyes

Ralph Bauer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Three-state haul Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mkirsch, not sure what to advise, you read and responded to many posts here and saw the lively array of answers.......I would make sure that you are not too wide without permit, not over 26K unless you are in a category that is exempt (in OK farmers(w/ stipulations), fire (and other response vehicles))from having a CDL. Avoid scales and scale areas/ regular check areas, even if you are not over. Make sure all lights work, tires are good, insurance up-to-date, proper tied down load, chains/belts, copy of bill of sale. Take wife and/or kids along, not male buddies, less suspicious to commercial activity. Travel on weekends. I have a professionally made magnetic sign with the Farm name and town name, and not for hire for both sides of truck, dunno if it helps or not, and farm tags (have legit farm).If you got kids, grandkids, put something like "go bearcats, make State" on windows... What I am saying is that you should give them no reason to stop you.
Check with the States that you will drive in to get tractor home as well. Should have websites like OKLA. (ODOT). In the end, you probably won't be 100% kosher/legit....but you may want to chance it if odds are reasonable.
I know that this response will cause further discussion...and you will end up with a multitude of, at times opposing replies. Keep us posted how it goes/went.
BTW: what States are you traveling in besides NY??

low budget

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Three-state haul Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I like your comment about bringing kids along. Friend of mine bought a semi tractor out of state and got stopped on the way home, his little grandson was eventually able to soften up the "she bear" that pulled him over.

rustyfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Three-state haul Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I know it is different where you live than it is here in the midwest, but most of us around here have found the best way is to just do it. Make sure all lights are working, safety chains are properly attached, license plates are visible, etc., and then just get in the truck and go. If we can get there using less traveled roads with less traffic, that is the chosen route. As you have already learned, no one has all the answers, not even the D.O.T. officers.

730d se
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Three-state haul Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Back in the "good ole days", they were not concerned about a private trucker, only the commercial guys.
Due to several factors including, accident rates, 911, need for money in the coffers, etc., they will now stop anyone.
The bottom line is you are taking a big chance IF you are rated or loaded over 26,000 LBS and on any public road.
They no longer "need" a reason to stop you, if you are on a public road, that is a reason.
You can get lucky and do it for years and never get stopped. But they are on to the "dually/gooseneck" rig and will stop them as quickly as any other.
Have your wallet full of cash because, just like the DOT having no answers, they can also charge whatever they feel like is fair in some cases.
Stickers in the windows, who is in the cab does not really matter. The only reason they will not stop you is if they are busy with another money donator or they just do not see you.
They are on the back roads also. Keep in mind, they did not fall off of a cabbage truck, no pun intended.

d beatty

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Three-state haul Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have been looking at new trailers and several of them tell you the requirements for trailers. You have to have fenders and flaps also reflectent tape down back and sides, coupler is to match GVW of trailer. This covers all trailers over !0,000 lb. GVW non commerical and commercal. All trailers over 3,000 lbs.GVW have to have brakes. These laws cover old and new trailer. Old trailers were not grandfathered into the new laws.

1206SWMO
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Three-state haul Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In the past 5 years I have been in 8 different states hauling
old tractors or combines with no problems..I've driven right
by the DOT several times...I'm sure that things are lots
tougher back east..

Loaded I usually take lesser traveled hiways and never ever
cross a scale..This is with a F-350 Ford dually and a 25 ft
gooseneck licensed for 26,000..Here in the midwest
probably less than 5% of the people pulling a trailer even
have a DOT number..

Forgive me if my computer double or triple posts..

bobs old iron
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Three-state haul Reply to specific post Reply with quote

just pretend you are in to good-old days, running MOON-SHINE, taking all the back roads around the ports, no one knows the better,,if stopped, play hill-billy and say 'I DIDN'T KNOW'... like others said, just make sure is fastened down right[safely]and go on your merry way...

rustyfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Three-state haul Reply to specific post Reply with quote

1206SWMO wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:36:22 02/29/12) In the past 5 years I have been in 8 different states hauling
old tractors or combines with no problems..I've driven right
by the DOT several times...I'm sure that things are lots
tougher back east..

Loaded I usually take lesser traveled hiways and never ever
cross a scale..This is with a F-350 Ford dually and a 25 ft
gooseneck licensed for 26,000..Here in the midwest
probably less than 5% of the people pulling a trailer even
have a DOT number..

Forgive me if my computer double or triple posts..

I tried my best several years ago to get all set up legally and hit roadblock after roadblock. I started by trying to get a D.O.T. number, but learned I needed to have commercial insurance before the dot number would be issued. Okay, so I started pursuing commercial insurance, but found out I can't get THAT without first having the dot number???

I gave up! Anything I haul now, whether it is on my trailer, in my truck, or being towed behind my truck belongs to me. Laughing

PA Driver

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Three-state haul Reply to specific post Reply with quote

PA police are really cracking down. The problem is that with your rig you fall victim to the combination weight which I imagine puts you over the magic 26K number. However, if you are over 10K plan to pull in a weigh station in PA. Also, as others said make sure your light all works as that's one nasty fine, check you valve stem caps make sure they are all metal if you are over 26K as that's another fine. I would grab a fire extinguisher, flares, and triangles incase you do get pulled over and are asked for saftey equipment.

mkirsch
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Three-state haul Reply to specific post Reply with quote

NY DOT website says "personal or recreational use" does not require a DOT number.

https://www.dot.ny.gov/divisions/operating/osss/truck/registration-licensing

Maybe I should load the camper in the back of the truck for the trip? Then it's an RV. The DOT doesn't bother RVs.

J.Wondergem
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Three-state haul Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I do what most of the others have told you. Make sure the lights all work, and washed up. Looks taken care of, and go.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Three-state haul Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Your local office of the state DOT has a book that they would love to give you, that tells all about it. They won't even charge you for it, so you can send me $40.00. Anyway they spell it out very clearly in the book, even with picture in case you can't read.

Ralph Bauer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Three-state haul Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Don't forget a first aid kit, required in a lot of places!

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Transporting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.