Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

when / where / how are doubles legal?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: when / where / how are doubles legal? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't see doubles in my state often. Have seen the odd usmail contractor or fedex contractor with semi tractor and 2 shorty box trailers.. but that's about it. have seen tow trucks towing a truck that had a trailer.

the other day I say a truck pulling an RV, with a boat behind it. looked like a train coming thru town headed for the interstate.

soundguy

bobia
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: when / where / how are doubles legal? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In Ia they can come 15 miles in Sd has a lot of them Here it lets them be able to haul fertiler and soy beans in

d beatty

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: when / where / how are doubles legal? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In Indiana its common to see doubles if there pups. On the Indiana Toll Road You will see 53ft.doubles and triples. The triples are pups. They have to bust them up at the Ill.state line. I don't know if they have to bust them up on the Ohio Turnpike.

willie in mn
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: when / where / how are doubles legal? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Info from Rand McNally Motor Carriers' road Atlas.
With some exceptions due to narrow lanes etc, doubles are allowed in all states, on the interstate system & state highways. Access on secondary roads for fuel, service, terminals etc usually limited to 1 mile off the network. Some states allow 5 miles. Farther than that must be broken apart & pulled as singles. In most states trailers not longer than 28 feet each.
Toll roads except Illinois allow double full size & triple 28 footers, but must be broken down at exit gate.
In the case of RV & boat that you mentioned, lead trailer must be fifth wheel/kingpin hitch. Ball hitch such as on goosenecks not allowed.
Willie

J.Wondergem
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: when / where / how are doubles legal? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The scrap hauler that I drove was a double roll off, 90 foot long. Called a super train, as it was a 4 axle lead and a 9 foot spread, with a tandem converter. Both trailers were live. And yes I had to back around some corners. Once I picked up a load and the guy told me there was a low ton bridge ahead. It was a narrow road and I had dropped the pup out at the edge of the road. So I had to back up a little over a 1/2 mile to get back out. I still don't know if there really was or not. It had 165000# plates on it. [/img].

Last edited by J.Wondergem on Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:03 pm; edited 5 times in total
john in la
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: when / where / how are doubles legal? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Double trailers are allowed in all 48 states per federal law. This is the same law that allows 102 wide and 53 ft single trailers. All states are forced to go along with this law to get highway funds.
The catch is both trailers must be 28 ft or shorter and they are only allowed on the national highway system.
Here is the roads that includes in Florida.(all the colored roads)

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/planning/nhs/maps/fl/fl_floridaeast.pdf

If you are caught off any of these colored roads with legal doubles; one of the trailers is over 28 ft long; or a 102 wide you can be ticketed. They do allow a 3 to 5 mile allowance to get to and from points of loading or terminals.

Out west they allow triple 28 ft trailers and doubles that include one large trailer and one small trailer. This is over and beyond federal law so the states rule on what can be pulled.
Most if not all turnpikes allow double large trailers.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: when / where / how are doubles legal? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i forgot you were a driver, thanks for chiming in ( thanks to all )

that makes sense.. it was a mile or two from the interstate.. so he was liely legal. i know the boat was less than 28' and doubt the rv was longer..e tc..

john in la
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: when / where / how are doubles legal? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes the people I work for pull doubles in your state everyday.

BANDITFARMER
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: when / where / how are doubles legal? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In SW Ohio I see double pups all over the place. UPS, OverNite, Yellow, R&L all pull double pups arould Cincinnati Ohio and running on most state routes. Now if you hook anything else up together its not legal. Now I have seen loads of new trailers, Large goose necks hauling other trailers and pulling a car trailer loaded with other smaller trailers. I have noticed alot of new trailers with reece hitches made into the frame of the back of a stock/horse or goose neck trailers. I dont know if its legal but I have seen them on the roads. Bandit

JOHNNYfromMI
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: when / where / how are doubles legal? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We run doubles here. 11 axels total.
Allowed all over the state 35-40 yards of gravel 20 - 22 cords of pulpwood. Called michigan trains.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: when / where / how are doubles legal? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

'preciate it!

jddriver
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: when / where / how are doubles legal? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I pull two 50s every day

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: when / where / how are doubles legal? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Last summer in VT I saw a motor home pulling a box trailer with a car on a dolly behind it. It was many miles from the interstate. I put a post on here about it and got an answer that rules are different for RVs. Just one of many rules that don't apply to them I guess.

ericlb
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: when / where / how are doubles legal? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

as far as i know on a big truck doubbles are leagle west of the missippi river, i personally dont know about east of it, but im assuming they are there too, some states even allow tripples, for little trucks, [ pickups] in nm doubbles are leagle IF the first trailer is a fifth wheel hitch,ie a rv trailer with a small boat, 4 wheeler ect behind it, first trailer must not be a gooseneck or tag along, although the mexican car wholesalers hook as many as 3 towbars to the same car and dont seem to get bothered, states may varry on this for smaller trucks and of course if over 10,000 a cdl is strongly advised to avoid trouble with the man, who's rules are open to inturpretation by the individual cop

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: when / where / how are doubles legal? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

see.. that's the problem.. that open to interpretation thing... shouldn't be..

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Transporting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.