Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trailer Tires

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pat sublett
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:04 am    Post subject: Trailer Tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I bought a new 14K tilt trailer. I did a lot of research and finally wound up with a Big Tex trailer. Not real thrilled with it. The paint is soft, they apparently didn't use any hardner in it. About half as many screws in the bed as there should be. The tires are the biggest disapointment. Steel belted radials supposedly. The only brand on them is PROVIDER. They have 2 ply rayon sidewall (only) 2 ply rayon tread, 1 nylon & 2 steel. Anyone have these tires No designaton but I am sure they are made in China.
When did our laws alow no designation of country where manufactured.

bg/mo
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Trailer Tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not to sound silly, but did you not see it before you got it?

pat sublett
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Trailer Tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Had the trailer built because I wanted a yellow one. I didn't do a scratch test on the paint on one on the lot. I checked the load rating on the tires and they were correct as are the ones on my trailer. I didn't check the cord makeup, which was printed in very small letters.
Live and learn.

Chuck Heck
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Trailer Tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Pat, I was in the market for a 14,000 GVW gooseneck. I looked at Big Tex, and decided not to buy one for the reasons you mentioned. Yours may turn out to be a great trailer...time will tell.

mkirsch
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Trailer Tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As I said in your other thread on the exact same subject, the "ply rating" is different from the actual construction of the tires.

Ply rating refers to the olden days when tires actually had 8 or 10 layers of rubber and nylon to make an 8 or 10 "ply rating."

New tires only have a couple of layers of rubber with a steel belt in between.

The "ply rating" is an obsolete measure of a tire's quality and capacity.

IAtractorKid
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Trailer Tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Almost every single trailer tire you will find is going to be made in China...does not mean they are all bad.

Carlisle is the onle one I can think of off hand that is made in the US.

Ralph Bauer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Trailer Tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

BIG TEX enjoys a good reputation in the GN series... at least here in OK and TX....sorry about your experience.
I am waiting on a Load Max by Load Trail GN 23+5, triple single, hope it will not have the same issues, did look at them close before buying, and comparing a many different makers, too...

randy hall
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Trailer Tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

you better look at your pickup tires. most are one ply ten ply rating. they will be fine.

BrianJasper co. Ia
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Trailer Tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Carlisle trailer tires aren't made in the U.S. Just bought one and it has Chinese on the sticker.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Transporting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.