Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Trouble in Kentucky

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hoofer B
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Trouble in Kentucky Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is it just us, or do others have trouble with trucking in Kentucky. Every time we go there, we have something or another. One of my trucks got pulled over today for being overweight. Cop told us that, even though he never scaled us. Driver told him the trailer is empty. ( 53" Van). We got away with a warning. ( a warning for not being overweight )

730d se
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble in Kentucky Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Others and I have been warning folks of what is happening on America's highways. There are several things that have created the mess today. The first sense of change was after 911. They felt a need to stop more trucks due to the potential risk of hauling God knows what that could be dangerous.
Then in the mid 2000's, they begin to really catch on to more and more people slipping the system with duallys and G/N trailers.
Couple this with a budget crunch that started in 2008, and you have a caustic mixture of greed on the ticket books.
I would not get on any public roads with a dually and G/N for any amount of money.
I am not going to pay for 1 million in liability, not going to hassle with filing quarterly taxes, pay IFTA, CDL, etc.
It is just much cheaper to pay for a haul.

G. Fields
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble in Kentucky Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In Jan KSP came to the extension office in Laurel County, and laid down the law. Anything over 10,001 pounds that articulates has to have a DOT#, Fed Inspection, a class A CDL and health card even if you HAVE farm tags! They also said that the days of "put a farm tag on it, and dont do anything stupid" are OVER, so i can only imagine that there gonna crack down you commercial guys too. As far as the warning, all I can say is your driver is a bigger man than me, Ive been pulled behind the scale house a few times in my rail road truck, and im pretty sure I would loose my sh!T if i got a warning for some mickey mouse buisnes like that.

Jim in Ma.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble in Kentucky Reply to specific post Reply with quote

# 1 Son drives OTR all over the country "His truck". His last truck was tricked out real pretty with many lights and crome too. It seemed he was gettig stopped often.
His new truck is just a plan jane truck. He told me thet he is getting stopped about 75% less now. Go figure.

the tractor vet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble in Kentucky Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Many years back here in the Buckeye i was west bound on I 76 just west of the turnpike entrance i was headed for Cleveland and the salt mine to load a load . I was empty i had the tarp on the trailer and i had Bows to hold the tarp up as back then this was not a common thing on dump trailers . I ran with the tarp on 90% of the time . I was in the left lane passen a line of trucks pulling the grade when i hear on the C B that there is a east bound bear just east of Baylie Rd , i check my speed and i am doing 55-56 mph, the traffic i am passing is doing about 52-53 MPH. so i am not smoken past them and i am not in any big hurry to get to the salt mine as it will be backed up till after 10:30 in the morning . Well Mr. Bear see's and i am looking at him . Next thing i hear is hey that bear did a flip and is west bound with the hammer down and lights ah going. Here he comes wright on my trailer and my scanner lights up and i hear my trailer plate Number being radioed in and he says that he would be on the side with me just west of Baylie rd. Well first off i could not get over as nobody would let me in So down the road we go till i could get over and when we got stopped here he comes with a attitude , wrong thing for him to do with me , first thing out of his mouth was give me your driver license registration and BILLS. So i hand him everything BUT BILLS He start to get real nasty with me and asked again for my BILLS and i looked him in the eyes and just shook my head no , he about flipped out and said give me your bills NOPE i said , well we are going to weigh you . OK i said go call 23-24 ( the call sign for the portables . How do you know there call sign ??? Give me a break here i have run BUCKET for 15 years . 23-24 was down by the turnpike entrance on the east bound lane with a old iron hauler setting on the scales when i went by . This bear and i went round and round for a good while and i kept watchen my watch as there is a little knowen law that they can only hold ya for one hour and fortyfive min. Time was getting short for him and he calls the scale wagon to see hoiw much longer they were going to be . Oh guess what that old iron hauler had to shut his truck off so the could weigh him because it was shaking so bad and when they got ready to turn him loose his truck would not start and it lost all it's air and was setting on the scales DEAD . I had this bear so mad he was beet red and swearing at me and for what ever reason he hit the side of my trailer with his clip board and turned and glared at me and said YOUR EMPTY , hey your the idiot that told me i was over . He threw my licenses and registration at me . Then i asked him if we were having fun as i sure was and just think of how many guys got by him while he had me pulled over.

bg/mo
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble in Kentucky Reply to specific post Reply with quote

it still is different stste to state, the best thing to do is find out what your state reqires and go with that.everybody talking bout one tons and goosenecks, you know what here in missouri i can drive a one ton and a gooseneck without a cdl as long as its under the 26,001lbs.

d beatty

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble in Kentucky Reply to specific post Reply with quote

bg/mo you are right about not needing cdl if your vehicle does not go over 26,000 lbs. But if you pull a trailer over 10,000lbs. you need a CDL. This is a Missouri DMV requirement for CDL.

730d se
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble in Kentucky Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So your trailer only has two 5K axles? That is not going to haul much. You do not need a dually to drag that kind of trailer.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: Trouble in Kentucky Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I pretty much always got a CVSA sticker when I got pulled in, but it still costs you the time.

bg/mo
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: Trouble in Kentucky Reply to specific post Reply with quote

it depends on the gvwr of the truck and trailer, are you saying that a dually is 16,000lbs???

bg/mo
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: Trouble in Kentucky Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It is our understanding that it is the combination of the two the truck and trailer to get over 26,001.

rustyfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Trouble in Kentucky Reply to specific post Reply with quote

bg/mo wrote:
(quoted from post at 05:33:03 03/15/12) It is our understanding that it is the combination of the two the truck and trailer to get over 26,001.

That is my understanding here in Iowa also. I know some changes are coming, but I have no idea what those changes will be.

d beatty

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Trouble in Kentucky Reply to specific post Reply with quote

bg/mo this is out of your Missouri DMV. You need a commercial drivers licence (CDL) to drive a vehicle more than 26,000 pounds, a trailer more than 10,000 pounds, a transport vehicle ( pass. Bus), or a hazardous materials vehicle. I live in Indiana and ours is worded the same as yours. But Iowa words theirs a little differant and could be interpreted differant. Thats why I say that these states need to get on the same page so you can go from one state to another with no problems.

rustyfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Trouble in Kentucky Reply to specific post Reply with quote

d beatty wrote:
(quoted from post at 08:22:46 03/15/12) bg/mo this is out of your Missouri DMV. You need a commercial drivers licence (CDL) to drive a vehicle more than 26,000 pounds, a trailer more than 10,000 pounds, a transport vehicle ( pass. Bus), or a hazardous materials vehicle. I live in Indiana and ours is worded the same as yours. But Iowa words theirs a little differant and could be interpreted differant. Thats why I say that these states need to get on the same page so you can go from one state to another with no problems.

What I don't understand is "a trailer more than 10,000#" How does one go about DRIVING a trailer? And what difference does it make how much that trailer weighs?

If you are USING a trailer, won't that trailer be hitched to your truck? And if it is hitched to your truck, does it not then become a "combined" vehicle? And since it is now a combination truck and trailer, does not the GVCWR apply?

D beatty

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Trouble in Kentucky Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Rustyfarmall I only wrote down what was in the Missouri DMV site.In my opion the states need to get together and set up vehicle laws and CDL requirements that are the same so we can go from state to state and be legal.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Transporting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters