Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

immobilzer or dead battery syndrome

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Larry Baker
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: immobilzer or dead battery syndrome Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Got a question here as I dont know and so its the same as I ask most mechanics.What and where is the immobilizer on a vehicle .Do you unplug,reset,bypass or replace it??Should this throw a code??

mkirsch
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: immobilzer or dead battery syndrome Reply to specific post Reply with quote

First off, why? Are you planning on stealing a vehicle?

I don't know if EVERY vehicle has an "immobilizer," or if ANY vehicle has one.

Your typical car alarm system "immobilizes" the vehicle so it can't be driven unless reset or bypassed. Usually pushing buttons on your remote unlock key fob, or putting the key in the driver's door and turning it, will reset it.

For a while there, GM had a little "chip" on their keys that if you tried to start the car without, the car would be immobilized. The only way to fix those was to tow the car to a GM dealer for reset, and if the key went bad it was big $$$ to fix.

As to a generic "immobilizer" on cars, I don't know if there is such a thing.

Ralph Bauer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: immobilzer or dead battery syndrome Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As far as Onstar is concerned, they are able to stop a vehicle remotely, via satellite (been done in CA), just as they are able to locate your vehicle. Don't know if those features are available (and under what "official" circumstances) when you don't subscribe to it. I would think that if you are concerned about it for personal reasons, you can cut the cables to the actual antenna. Maybe even the sending unit, but I suspect those are built in with some other gadgets that your car needs, board computer, for example. I don't suspect that it is part of your radio... too easy to remove and would stop thieves from stealing them...lol
Just thinking out loud about your question, not an expert and I'm not suffering from some phobia either, if you know what I mean....lol!

Larry Baker
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: immobilzer or dead battery syndrome Reply to specific post Reply with quote

no ,my vehichle goes down the road and does just that nothing,had to the shop several times and you guessed it no problem no code,lights burn bright and so on but nothing ignition wise works ,then presto your hot again

mkirsch
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: immobilzer or dead battery syndrome Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Nothing, as in engine quits? Won't crank at all? Cranks but won't start?

Do you have an aftermarket remote starter or car alarm?

What vehicle is it, brand, year and model?

Someone might know of some specific issue if you specify the vehicle.

Have you had it to an actual dealer, not just a local mechanic? I know you probably don't trust dealers, but they have the brand-specific knowledge, training, and diagnostic equipment. Your local mechanic works on all brands and really doesn't know a whole lot about any one make or model.

Larry Baker
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: immobilzer or dead battery syndrome Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dodge nitro-07

Have had several folks that Ive talked to with the same thing.It wont do nothing at times even unlock the door.The ignition switch does nothing and 15 minutes it going again.Dealer gives the deer in the head lite look.There was a car at the interstate fri with the same thing.On one of the auto forums they talk of it also in other makes and nothing really clear as a resolve as of yet

J.Wondergem
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: immobilzer or dead battery syndrome Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Larry Baker wrote:
(quoted from post at 20:33:52 03/19/12) Dodge nitro-07

Have had several folks that Ive talked to with the same thing.It wont do nothing at times even unlock the door.The ignition switch does nothing and 15 minutes it going again.Dealer gives the deer in the head lite look.There was a car at the interstate fri with the same thing.On one of the auto forums they talk of it also in other makes and nothing really clear as a resolve as of yet

Maybe write to the head quarters in Detroit. They must know something about it, as you say several folks are having that problem.

glennster
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: immobilzer or dead battery syndrome Reply to specific post Reply with quote

try this
poke here

Larry Baker
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: immobilzer or dead battery syndrome Reply to specific post Reply with quote

amazing,just amazing

Dealer says nothing and have gotten nothing from them in the mail for a recall

BrianJasper co. Ia
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: immobilzer or dead battery syndrome Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It depends on the individual vehicle. My 98 Silverado has a separate anti theft module, but on many newer vehicles the anti theft functions may be in a body control module, the instrument cluster or the engine/power train control module.

Larry Baker
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: immobilzer or dead battery syndrome Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks glenster your imfo was right on the money,hope to call the dealer in the nest few days about the recall deal

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Transporting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.