Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

To buy a separate battery for winch operation?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ralph Bauer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:51 am    Post subject: To buy a separate battery for winch operation? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Will be putting a HD 12000 lbs winch on my GN trailer. Most smaller winches (2-3K lbs) have long cables to run of truck's batteries, or have wired in connections similar to hay bale spikes, but I am a bit leery to do that with this winch. Leaning toward a separate battery. What size amps, type battery? Deep cycle marine? Hard to tell what use I will have for the GN, will be an addition, not a replacement. Guessing once a month. Mostly to "recover/load " fence row finds and auction items.
Thanks in advance, Ralph.

rustyfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: To buy a separate battery for winch operation? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Use a 12 volt battery of the same basic capacity as what your truck requires, but then run a good, heavy duty, minimum 10 gauge wire from the accessorie terminal on the trailer wiring plug, through the wiring harness, and connect it to the + post of the winch battery. Leave your truck running while you are using the winch, and you will have the benefit of 2 batteries powering the winch. Also, the winch battery will get recharged while driving down the road.

bobs old iron
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: To buy a separate battery for winch operation? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

you would want the biggest batt cap, so you have the juice to pull whatever you are doing,, as for cables, if you have a 7-plug r-v set-up, you can wire into the batt side of plug to charge while driving, might have to put on isolator or something like that , to keep from over charging/ruining batt.. or can run cables from batt, along frame to back of truck, with plug in ends like on forklift, snowplows. etc///

Ralph Bauer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: To buy a separate battery for winch operation? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Do have the 7 plug RV connection in the bed (F-350,6.0 Ford Diesel), thanks!

Ralph Bauer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: To buy a separate battery for winch operation? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not thought of that. Was planning to use a solar panel to keep battery full, since I don't use it much and sunshine's plenty around here.

Ralph Bauer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:41 am    Post subject: Follow up question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Separate battery box or ok to use tool box, as long as battery is securely fastened? Are vent holes required? If separate, what are good/better/best locations? (Spare tire is mounted on top of GN, winch plate above storage box.)

Cliff Nelson
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: To buy a separate battery for winch operation? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As others have said large battery and wire to battery charge terminal on trailer connector. I installed mine in a plastic RV battery box inside the gooseneck next to the spare tire. I also connected it to the breakaway switch for the trailer brakes. It eliminates having to maintain the small battery that came with the trailer. I use a deep cycle battery mainly because it is the same battery we use with the camper if needed. Haven't had any problems with this arrangement.

430WLPG
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: To buy a separate battery for winch operation? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I ran a 4ga battery cable like a balespear and got a welder qui ck connector then used a group31 battery on trailer and leave the truck running and this way the tru k will charge the battery as you drive also disconnect thr trailer light plug when using winch or it will try to ground through the light plug

JimEvans
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: To buy a separate battery for winch operation? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yep. Make sure to disconnect the trailer plug. Especially if using long jumper cables up to the truck battery. If the ground cable isn't tight, it will try to send 300 amps or so through the trailer harness ground. It will burn the wiring harness up all the way from the plug to the battery. Very expensive fix.

mkirsch
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: To buy a separate battery for winch operation? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ralph Bauer wrote:
(quoted from post at 09:36:22 03/18/12) Not thought of that. Was planning to use a solar panel to keep battery full, since I don't use it much and sunshine's plenty around here.

You're going to need a LOT of solar panel, even if the sun shines "plenty." Those little "battery maintainer" panels will take WEEKS in full sun to charge a battery after a good winch run.

Definitely consider connecting the winch battery to the truck for charging and normal operation. A winch takes a LOT out of a battery.

Chuck Heck
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: To buy a separate battery for winch operation? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use a marine type battery called "Dual Purpose" I got at Autozone, 1000 cranking amps. Like was mentioned here, it is charged by the 12V hot terminal on the trailer plug. The winch is a 10,000 lb Superwinch.

evilboweviel
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: To buy a separate battery for winch operation? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

solar is nice for keeping a charged battery topped off when trailer is not hooked to truck
charge battery from truck

caterpillar guy
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: To buy a separate battery for winch operation? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

for the battery get one with the studs on top rather than lead posts. It is easier to hook up and will require less cleaning maintenance. They are like come in the semis. Group 31.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: To buy a separate battery for winch operation? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

on my toy hauler, I have a winch on the gooseneck, and I carry a spare battery for it or jumps for the treasures I go find. I buy a battery that will fit in my truck as well, in case I need help. I usually use a dual terminal battery as well so it has many uses.. it costs a lil more but is handy always having an extra battery on hand when dragging home rusty iron.

ps.. you can rig it to charge off the power option on the 7 pin.. kinda like the trailer battery for breakaway..

JRSutton
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: To buy a separate battery for winch operation? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Never gave it much thought, but I'd imagine if you're going to a separate battery anyways that a deep cycle battery would probably be your best bet. The same kind you'd use on a trolling motor.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Transporting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.