Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cummins missing.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Walter Buller
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: Cummins missing. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If a 1993 12v 5.9 Cummins with about 350K on it runs like it has a miss, i.e., runs rough, no power, sluggish, what might be the problem? We have changed the fuel filters, rebuilt the pump, including a new solenoid, tested the injectors, which were working perfectly, each one popping at 3600#, put a good additive in the fuel, and scratched our heads with one hand and our butts with the other one. It still does it. Any ideas?

puln70
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: Cummins missing. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I didn't see aything about adjusting valves?

Walter Buller
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 3:51 am    Post subject: Re: Cummins missing. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We did that too.

Lyndon - AB
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Cummins missing. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Lift pump broken or partially plugged?

Not very experienced with the dodge's, but had a delimber that had similar symptoms. Turned out to be a mostly plugged inlet line to the lift pump. Let just enough fuel through to run, but no power, stumbling, etc. Had to steam all the dust and crap out of the fuel tank.

Another possibility is air entering the fuel stream. If you put a clear line in between the filters and the injector pump, you can see if there are any air bubbles in the fuel stream.

Hope that gives you a few things to go on.

Lyndon

alvan
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Cummins missing. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had a 8.3 cummins that done the same thang and it turned out to be the lift pump the screen going in to the pump was stopped up witch made the pump to pump air put a new lift pump on and cleaned the tank now runs like a top
easy and cheep fix hope this is your problem.

Kip-Utah
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Cummins missing. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If it's missing have you notified the authorities?!!! LOL Kip

Walter Buller
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Cummins missing. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Actually, I discovered the problem this morning. I disconnected the fuel lines from the first three injectors, and connected them to good, spare injectors I had. I had my wife crank the motor while I watched. Number 3 injector was not putting out any fuel at all. I swapped this injector with another good one, with the same result. The problem is the newly rebuilt pump.

phil25
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Cummins missing. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

not sure if this applies or not, but the air intake is clean?, if it has turbo, any chance the turbo inlet/outlet vanes are stuck/restricted?
in my case there was a non-operating intake vane, setting the fault code ,and sending a stop engine signal= runs clean, but no power, sluggish,slightly, any chance that it is down on coolant? the rad level sensor will set a stop engine code also.
just throwing it out there

Walter Buller
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Cummins missing. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

See my previous answer.

scotc
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Cummins missing. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Definitely the pump, they missed something, or didn't go into it as far as they would have you believe. If it was a fuel supply issue it wouldn't be firing good on certain ones and then not on certain others.
good place for info on your truck

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Transporting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.