Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

weight distribution

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
danny in draketown
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 3:36 am    Post subject: weight distribution Reply to specific post Reply with quote

1952 J.D. 'A' weighed it at the cat scales and i believe i can pull the 5500 class, my question is when i add the next 500#,for the 6000# class, how much on front and how much on the back. i put bars on the front so the weight will be 10.5 ft from center of rear axle. and on the rear i just bolted plates to the back of the rear axle. i was thinkin 170# on the front and 330#. ...any suggestions

danny in draketown
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: weight distribution Reply to specific post Reply with quote

also it has cast wheels with firestone tires about 90% tread

johndeereman
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: weight distribution Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Depends on track condition and drawbar height and length of chain on sled

danny in draketown
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: weight distribution Reply to specific post Reply with quote

all i did was turn the draw bar over so the bend is up. never pulled before in case you couldnt tell. this will be a learning experience.concerned about the front raising up to much

Dodgeit
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: weight distribution Reply to specific post Reply with quote

danny in draketown wrote:
(quoted from post at 07:19:53 05/20/12) all i did was turn the draw bar over so the bend is up. never pulled before in case you couldnt tell. this will be a learning experience.concerned about the front raising up to much

Danny, get a set of rules for the club you are going to pull with, and take advantage of them. Drawbar height and distance from axle will be spelled out plainly in the rule book. With your drawbar just flipped over you will need to probably adjust your ratio, but then JD's are hard to bring the front up. Pay the hook fees and find out. It's not wasted money if your getting educated.

Last edited by Dodgeit on Sun May 20, 2012 12:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
danny in draketown
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: weight distribution Reply to specific post Reply with quote

just had an epiphany in the shower. probably wont do well in the #5500 class as to no weight on the back wheels and would not need any on the front till i get to the heaveir classes like you said. if that were the case you would see them with the front end up pullin a plow on the farm. thinkin sould put all #500 on the back for the #6000 class. till i can find out where my breaking point is ??????????

VicS
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: weight distribution Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My rule of thumb is as I add weight 30% on the front and 70% on the rear. Then watch other pullers and what they are doing. Maybe track is changing, When you have a front center and rear brackets,changing 60 lbs from the front to the rear makes a lot of difference. Also what about left and right on those 3 brackets. Example I had 180 extra lb. on the right side at Tunica, 2011. You just never know for sure. It is always a guess. Practice makes perfect is about right. good luck. Vic

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: weight distribution Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree with VicS and will add that in general on a soft track a higher proportion goes on back and hard tight power track higher proportion on front.

Dodgeit
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: weight distribution Reply to specific post Reply with quote

showcrop wrote:
(quoted from post at 20:38:46 05/21/12)
I agree with VicS and will add that in general on a soft track a higher proportion goes on back and hard tight power track higher proportion on front.

Should the front tires stay in full contact with the track, or should they float with intermentant contact?

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: weight distribution Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Your front should stay firmly on the ground until the load starts to really come on, then get progressively lighter as you continue, because the pull gets progressively stronger. If it comes up too early you lose steering of course. If it comes up too much even at the very end you are loosing traction due to loss of draft from the sled as your draw bar drops.

Dodgeit
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: weight distribution Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So if I'm floating the front as soon as the sleds box starts moving, I should add weight to the front, so it doesn't start to float till later.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: weight distribution Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The box should start moving the second that your tractor does, but yes you want it to stay down for at least half the pass, unless you are pulling a hot farm type of class.

Dodgeit
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: weight distribution Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No it's just farm class 3.5mph.

Would not having the front weighted correctly cause the tractor to spin out early? Even if the front was only just floating?

I see where having it firmly on the ground would keep the hitch height higher longer.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: weight distribution Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dodgeit wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:43:22 05/23/12)

Would not having the front weighted correctly cause the tractor to spin out early? Even if the front was only just floating?

I see where having it firmly on the ground would keep the hitch height higher longer.

Yes, If the front is overloaded to the extent of underweighting the rear, yes, it will cause you to run out of traction early. Last Sunday there was a young fellow first time with a Farmall B. The night before he had built mid mount weight bars for it and that was where he had added his whole 500 lbs. These bars were closer to front than back and he had been front heavy in his prior class. I had him transfer as many as would go onto it to the loop bar in back then grabbed some more off another tractor and he had a respectable pass.

Dodgeit
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: weight distribution Reply to specific post Reply with quote

showcrop wrote:
(quoted from post at 20:36:07 05/23/12)
Dodgeit wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:43:22 05/23/12)

Yes, If the front is overloaded to the extent of underweighting the rear, yes, it will cause you to run out of traction early. Last Sunday there was a young fellow first time with a Farmall B. The night before he had built mid mount weight bars for it and that was where he had added his whole 500 lbs. These bars were closer to front than back and he had been front heavy in his prior class. I had him transfer as many as would go onto it to the loop bar in back then grabbed some more off another tractor and he had a respectable pass.

So what I need is the front planted, and not floating until the midpoint, but still enough for steerage?

Mine is laid out with weight bars in front and behind the rear axle equidistant from each other. A mid mount, and a front bracket.

I had 1400 on the back, 800 on the bracket in front of the rear axel, 200 on the mid mount and 50 on the front. The front floated until I hit a spot in the track where I got good traction then the front came up and that was it. rear tires were slipping some like they should.

What would you have done differently?

Last edited by Dodgeit on Thu May 24, 2012 7:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Pulling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.