Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

opinions on leyland tractor

View previous topic :: View next topic  
james9n
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: opinions on leyland tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i posted this in another section but maybe it belonged in here...dunno..i will try and see...
There is a 70hp leyland for sale and i dont know much about them.Local tractor house said they "heard" parts were hard to come by....might have to get them "up north" etc
I dont know the series/model of tractor other than the ad says 70hp. i havent called on it yet. Who makes the engine for these things and is there any known flaw with them or is the main problem is that parts are hard to get?--Tractors in this size range is hard to come by in my area that are affordable and has been maintained.--any help is appreciated.

greygoat
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: opinions on leyland tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Several times a year I pick up an English tractor
magazine, called "Tractor and Michinery" from
the magazine rack at Barnes and Nobel bookstore.
It's chock full of articles on english tractors
and how to fix them. There are a hundred ads for
spare parts sellers, and "Dismantlers" or
"Breakers" who strip tractors and sell the parts.
Most of the advertisers have e-mail addresses,
and most will ship overseas,(to USA). They all
know what are the "Hard to find" parts and price
accordingly! Shipping is not out of line with our
"Express mail, and usually take about a week, as
"Royal Mail" go's Air. They don't use boats any-
more for small parcels. Heavy parts could go UPS.

Home4Orphans
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 3:23 am    Post subject: Re: opinions on leyland tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We still own a Nuffield tractor and have owned several Leylands and Nuffields.. They are one of the hardest working under rated tractors around..
They use BMC Diesel engines which are solid and very fuel efficient.. If the tractor has no big issues the way it sets then you probably won"t be able to wear it out.. The only model I would personally pass on is the Mini series which seems harder to find parts for here in USA.

Tom from Ontario
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: opinions on leyland tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We had a 255 Leyland for a long time and loved it, mostly for its' economy. If they say 70 hp, it might be a model 270 which was a good one. 384 model not so good as it had the old style engine that was in the 465 Nuffield and it was a stinker. May also be a 272 or a 272 Synchro. Both good ones. Hydraulic and pto setup takes a bit of getting used to and before you speak for it, definitely try out the pto clutch. If it has been left with the pto clutch disengaged, that ain't good at all. Sort of like driving with your foot on the clutch all the time.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Lesser Known Classics All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.