Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MEK BE CAREFULL!!!!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GT65
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: MEK BE CAREFULL!!!!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

PLEASE BE CAREFULL!!,
I see some blogs where there using MEK as a cleaning agent.Your all big boys out there and I can't tell you what to do but please protect yourself and DON'T get it on your skin!!!
The MSDS sheet say's exposure to it can cause NERVOUS SYSTEM DISORDERS!!!!
A guy I know worked on one of those SUPERFUND jobs capping a dump. MEK was used to clean and soften the edge of the rubber liner so they could glue the panels together to cap it.He said he only used it once in a while and just used regular leather work gloves.
MISTAKE!!! if any thing the leather work gloves worked like a wick and if gotten wet then your carrying the crap next to you all day!!!!
Ten years later,at only 40,my friend is diagnosed with PARKINSON'S DISEASE!!

"NUFF SAID!!!" please don't use unless you have to,And if you do please PROTECT YOURSELF!!!
GT65

Billy NY
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: MEK BE CAREFULL!!!!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is this Methyl Ethyl Ketone ?

Nebraska Cowman
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: MEK BE CAREFULL!!!!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I used it a bunch when I was young and bullet proof. It was good solvent. I'm sure I didn't wear gloves. It's too late now but I'm a lot more careful than I used to be.

Jim.UT
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: MEK BE CAREFULL!!!!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes.

BruceR TN
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: MEK BE CAREFULL!!!!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There are gloves available that will protect you against MEK but you have to read the labels! The fumes are also not good. Thanks for your post.

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: MEK BE CAREFULL!!!!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What is the common name for this?

GT65
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: MEK BE CAREFULL!!!!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dave,
As far as I know it's just Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK) and can be purchased by anyone.
If MEK is an ingredient in ANY other cleaner or solvent that any of you out there know of,PLEASE let us know!!!
GT65

P.S. I'm not sure of the dangerous ingredient,but some of the primers you can buy anywhere (Walmart,Home Depot,etc.)Warn of possible Neurological damage as one of it's possible side affects from exposure!
I know the one that states that it, "Converts Rust To Primer", contains this or a similar warning!

woodbutcher
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 1:34 am    Post subject: Re: MEK BE CAREFULL!!!!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yeah, me too. I worked at the local bomber factory in 1968 patching bullet holes in C130"s. MEK was the solvent of choice, and gloves were not issued at the tool crib, so none were used. Thanks for the info.
Butch

Sean in PA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: MEK BE CAREFULL!!!!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

MEK used to be the main ingredient in the glue used for gluing schedule 40 PVC pipe, the white "plastic" pipe that is used in the drains for most new homes these days. I haven't worked with it in a while, so I don't know if they changed the formula of the glue to avoid using MEK or if it's still in there. I smelled the fumes when my brother-in-law was doing some drain pipe work at my mother-in-law's house a few months ago, and it smelled the same, so it's probably still in there.

Tim Barnes
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: MEK BE CAREFULL!!!!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I worked in the aircraft sheet metal fabrication shop in the Air Force. Part of our job description included repairing fiber glass and honey combed bonded parts. We kept a 55 gallon barrel of MEK on it's side with a bulk head fitting for a tap. We used it to degrease parts and to wash our hands after working with the resins & glues required for fiberglass & cockpit repairs. Our hands would turn white after using the stuff. I reckon MEK or Agent Orange will get me someday but I'm still doing OK at almost 66 years old.

MNGB
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: MEK BE CAREFULL!!!!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi I've used MEK for 40+ yrs its used extensily in the aircraft and paint industry, as with any solvent one must use common sense but as for it causing Parkinson I have my doubts.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methyl_ethyl_ketone

GT65
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: MEK BE CAREFULL!!!!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

MNGB,
A lot of those findings are based on testing of OSHA's PEL(Permissible Exposure Level) for a 40 hr. work week which is 200 parts per million.Do you realize what a small amount that is and for a 40 hr. Week!!!
Glad your still Healthy!
GT65

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.