Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Backhoe advice

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave Panning
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:22 am    Post subject: Backhoe advice Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am looking at an older backhoe for occasional farm use. Case-Ford-Deere. Any opinions on good or bad features to look for? Thanks, Dave

Backhoes

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Backhoe advice Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have heard the Deere's have more complicated hydraulics that can be expensive and a pain to repair. Best to have someone with experience check out machines you are looking at. Before you buy, post the info, and pictures if possible. There are several people on here that can tell you about specific machines.

Bob Bancroft
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Backhoe advice Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Had an IH 3444. I can't recall the hoe number, maybe 3121? It was a great machine. It's weakness was the splined arrangement on top, where the hoe hung on the tractor.
I now have a Ford 655A w/extendable arm. It's been a good machine also. I need the length to reach and clean some open ditches. It does burn more fuel than the old IH did gas!

DiyDave

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Backhoe advice Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I second the notion, to have someone local to check the various functions of the backhoe you find. Then post Model #, Serial#, and condition, here. Somebody here knows the woes, and will be happy to disclose those! Sorry if I just waxed poetic, it's been a long day!

oldtanker
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Backhoe advice Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I ask a just retired heavy equipment mech who owed his own business. He says that due to parts availabilty if looking for an older one JD or Case and in newer you can add in Cat. He says that the Ford and JCB are good ones too but can be very had to find parts for.

Rick

VicS
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Backhoe advice Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Don't know how much you are willing to spend, so is hard to recommend specifics. When I was looking for a cheap farm hoe. 8000 dollars. I went to a used dealer I tractor pull with. He recommended I stay with a Case 2 wheel drive. Which he had none of. just Ford and JD. I ended up with a 480E Case.because it just weights 10000 lbs. can haul it on a 14000 lb. trailer and pull it with a single wheel pickup. It isn't very good looking but works good. I have repacked every cylinder, I think. and put most of the bushings in. My hoe also has a hyd thumb. wished it had a clam-shell buckett. Get one new enough to get a Cummins engine. They have 4 valve covers. almost last forever. Opinions are like belly-buttons, everybody has one. Vic

JMS/.MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Backhoe advice Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I bought a 1970 Ford 4500 gas about five years ago- $6100. From a jockey I knew. Spent about a grand replacing all hoses and some bushings since then. It"s a gear drive- newer 555 (?) had some torque converter issues, and for my farm use, the gear drive is more dependable. Case 580 has an excellent rep- looked at some at 10 grand or more.

Brian Allen
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Backhoe advice Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dave
I found a 1979 555 Ford 3 CYL 2 wheel drive extend - a- hoe.
It is well worn, but is a strong machine. I have been digging ditches, cleaning out fence bottoms, and digging out big rocks and stumps with no issues.
If you can afford it, go with a 4 CYL motor as I could use a bit more power.
Regards
Brian

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Crawlers, Dozers, Loaders and Backhoes All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.