Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

prep for paint

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jr. Roby
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:56 am    Post subject: prep for paint Reply to specific post Reply with quote

how do you get the hard to get to places ready to paint ? is there some kind of spray cleaner that will get these places to where primer or paint will stick?

geoff gwisdala
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: prep for paint Reply to specific post Reply with quote

ive done a couple of tractors that were really caked with dirt, grime and old oil. i found the best way is to just dissassemble, clean and paint and reassemble. done right the first time you will have much better looking paint job. for some areas where dissambly isnt feasible a can of brake clean and a piece of scotchbrite pad attatched to an old screwdriver works well to rough up the surface for paint/primer adhesion

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: prep for paint Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am in the final stages of one now that I did nearly a complete disassemble on. Like Geoff says there is no substitute for dis-assembly. After a really good degreaser (oven Cleaner), hot water, pressure wash I removed a lot of parts, that I put in soak buckets to clean, then pushed it out doors and repeated the wash. Then I removed the wheels, motor and more parts. I even used a Dremel to get rust off some really hard to get at places, but mostly a wire cup brush. All it takes is time.

john_Bud
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: prep for paint Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I pressure wash thoroughly. Spray with detergent, pressure wash again. Repeat. That gets the bulk off. Elbow grease and wire brush, solvents, paint strippers and recycle with the washing.

If there's an "easy way", I sure don't know it.

George Rausch
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: prep for paint Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Agree with all those methods, you'll use all of them. Thinking about my "H" restoration, maybe I couldhave used one of those electric-drill wire-cable extensions, where the drill's out here, and you can stick the wire brushes etc. into tight places. Don't know if they still make them, but it might have made it easier.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Paint and Bodywork All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.