Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does hardner get old?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unruh
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Does hardner get old? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm planning to paint a fender with Omni MAE and use Shopline JC661 clear over it using JH6680 Medium Topcoat hardner. I read in a thread by NCWaye in Tractor Talk that he refers to hardner that might be "out of date". I used half of my can of harder maybe three years ago and refilled the can with argon gas before screwing on the cap. How can I tell if it's still good or not good? Spray a test on an old barrel? The clear will never harden without hardner, will it? I don't see a "use before" date on the can.

CNKS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Does hardner get old? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have used it a year old with gas in it and kept in the refrigerator without problems. My guess would be that it is still ok, but if mine I wouldn't risk it. I don't remember the numbers, but I think PPG says the shelf life unopened is 2 years, opened 2 weeks without gas. The 2 weeks is probably conservative, mainly there for body shops to reduce complaints, in my opinion.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Does hardner get old? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

if it was something i wanted to look good.. i'd get a new can.. 3ys opened is a loooong time..

Loren in WI
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Does hardner get old? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

yes it has a shelf life after opening. The humidity that enters the can will cause it to not work. It is not that body shops are fussy it is that it has to have a chemical reaction to work right. I would suggest that you buy it in a small contyainer and use it up promply. 25 years of shop time sharing knowledge with you. It cost alot to do it once, what to try it twice?

GordoSD
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Does hardner get old? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Deep six it. As others said it cost a lot to do it right ONCE!

jfred
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: Does hardner get old? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The PPG paint rep had told me that the way to know if it is alright to use after being opened for awhile is to take a look at the paint just after you mix the hardner in. If it starts to look in any way like cottage cheese, stop right there and throw it out before pouring it into your gun. If it mixes up like normal it will be fine. Again that's just what he told me. I have to admit, I have mixed together some PPG hardner that was probably nearing 3 years old once and it worked just like it should. But I could've just gotten lucky!

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Paint and Bodywork All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.