Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AC HD 10 steering brake problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lemmond1

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: AC HD 10 steering brake problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I broke the short brake rod on my dozer and welded it back together. Now my brake pedal is stationary on that side. How do I adjust it? Roy

gemdozer

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: AC HD 10 steering brake problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You should have a small cover on the inspection cover under the fuel tank and you should see the exagon head rod adjustement if the HD10 is the same then the HD11

jm.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: AC HD 10 steering brake problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That rod adjustment wil be a funny looking has he calles it exagon looking but they are notorious for twisting off.. go very easy when you try suspect you have more problems because breaking the break rod is not normal I am thinking you will need to reline the brakes.. First dozer I ever owned in my life was a detroit powred cabel hd10 ac. Probably can find the service manual if you need one. jm. E-mail open

lemmond1

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: AC HD 10 steering brake problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for your response. I broke the short rod that is near the floor. A boisd'arc limb caught underneath and caused this. i have cut and welded the rod several times but I don't seem to get it right. The rod is about 18" long. Roy

lemmond1

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: AC HD 10 steering brake problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank Gem for your help. I have tried adjusting the brake behind the inspection plate you mentioned. The adjusting mechanism doesn't seem to do much toward alleviating this problem. I will keep trying. I have a manual but it doesn't specify the exact length of this rod. Roy

Bill in Colo
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: AC HD 10 steering brake problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Could you measure the rod on the other side ?

lemmond1

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: AC HD 10 steering brake problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for your response. Yes, I have measured the other side and thought I was getting them the same length. I will try again. Roy

gemdozer

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:22 am    Post subject: Re: AC HD 10 steering brake problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If your 2 rods are the same long are you adjusted the brake and they not working your brake are to worm or your rod adjustement tread and yoke femelle tread are scrap

lemmond1

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: AC HD 10 steering brake problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I remeasured the other side as you suggested and found it to be 3 inches longer. I will add three inches to the side that I broke. Hope this does it. Roy

gemdozer

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: AC HD 10 steering brake problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a brake rod 21 inchs long 1/2" with fine tread at end and the other end she has a yoke for pine

lemmond1

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: AC HD 10 steering brake problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I measured the other side and it was 20" pin to pin. I welded a threaded bolt on the side I broke to 20". The brake pedal sets up way too high and the brake still does'nt work. I took 1 and 1/2 inches off the rod and rewelded. It still doesn't work. I am going to try to adjust it from the rear inspection plate. Roy

lemmond1

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: AC HD 10 steering brake problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The steering brake worked just fine before I broke it. The brake shoes look good. Roy

lemmond1

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: AC HD 10 steering brake problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think a new set of brak3 shoes would help. Does anyone know where I might get some new brake shoes? Roy

gemdozer

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: AC HD 10 steering brake problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I should have a good used brake and band set for HD11 they should be the same than the HD10

lemmond1

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: AC HD 10 steering brake problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What do you want for the brake shoes? Roy

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Crawlers, Dozers, Loaders and Backhoes All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.