Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

641D 3pt Lift Cover rebuild

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TX641D
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: 641D 3pt Lift Cover rebuild Reply to specific post Reply with quote

3pt lift has finally stopped lifting altogether. With FO-20 manual in hand and the CNH gasket kit full of O-Rings, I am contemplating diving into the 3pt cover to "un-stick" the unloading valve.

Honestly, I have put it off this long because I am not confident I can get it back together if I tear into it. It's pretty worthless when the 3pt unit doesnt work, so i'm tempted to try.

1) Anyone who has done this specific rebuild, any tips or pitfalls I should lookout for?

2) Awhtx...I have a tractor in my barn with your name on it Smile I may be passing thru next week, bringing my boys to their grandparents in San Antonio.

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 641D 3pt Lift Cover rebuild Reply to specific post Reply with quote

TX641D wrote:
(quoted from post at 23:04:21 07/05/12) 3pt lift has finally stopped lifting altogether. With FO-20 manual in hand and the CNH gasket kit full of O-Rings, I am contemplating diving into the 3pt cover to "un-stick" the unloading valve.

Honestly, I have put it off this long because I am not confident I can get it back together if I tear into it. It's pretty worthless when the 3pt unit doesnt work, so i'm tempted to try.

1) Anyone who has done this specific rebuild, any tips or pitfalls I should lookout for?

2) Awhtx...I have a tractor in my barn with your name on it Smile I may be passing thru next week, bringing my boys to their grandparents in San Antonio.
More than wish I could be there to help, but it isn't in the cards right now.

TX641D
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 641D 3pt Lift Cover rebuild Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My friend...you are right where you need to be. Thanks for the note.

I'll be posting the steps here with pictures...so as I learn and fumble, it will be documented for the next guy.

TX641D
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 641D 3pt Lift Cover rebuild Reply to specific post Reply with quote

JMOR,

Do I remember you cautioning me about some spring or linkage just beneath the cover, when you unbolt it?

Can you refresh my memory on what I'm watching for?

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: 641D 3pt Lift Cover rebuild Reply to specific post Reply with quote

TX641D wrote:
(quoted from post at 23:26:15 07/05/12) JMOR,

Do I remember you cautioning me about some spring or linkage just beneath the cover, when you unbolt it?

Can you refresh my memory on what I'm watching for?
I don't have any of my notes or books with me, there is such a shift detent spring & ball on the "Ns", but I'm not sure the 641 uses that same detent scheme......I'm thinking it may not. George Marsh & Kurt-NRPA have a lot of experience with their own hydraulics & will have a lot of pictures somewhere here on YT. Geo has Jubilee & Kurt a hundred series I believe, but even the Jubilee has a great deal of similarity as well as many differences.

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: 641D 3pt Lift Cover rebuild Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When you remove the plug from the front of lift cover to access the check valve & back pressure valve components, pay attention to order/orientation of the parts, as the manual & pictures by various posters does not make it clear as to orientation/position. Pretty sure the picture with all strung out in line here is incorrect.

Jerry/MT
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: 641D 3pt Lift Cover rebuild Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Pardon me for stepping in but I think JMOR was cautioning you about the removal of the top link feedback rod before you remove the lift cover.

Jim.UT
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: 641D 3pt Lift Cover rebuild Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes, please document your adventure. I need to dig
into the lift of one of my 850's soon and am at the
same confidence level as you!

Kurt-NEPA
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 641D 3pt Lift Cover rebuild Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No Toplink feed back rod on my 660 that would get in the way with pulling the cover. Pulling the top cover is straight forward. Just remove the seat and 3 pins, then a bunch of bolts. Lift it straight up. The linkage may hang up on the right side. Just push it the left a bit. Remember that one top cover bolt is under the 3" X 5" accessory plate.

I think JMOR has the back pressure and check valve covered well. They seldom cause problem.

Post back if you need help getting the unloader valve out. It can be a little bit challenging.

When you put the top cover back on, getting everything lined up with the gasket is fun. An extra set of hands helps. I cut the heads off several long 7/16" bolts and threaded them in. Then slipped the gasket over them. Dropped the top cover over the bolts and onto the center housing. I put in the remaining bolts, removed the long bolts and replaced them with the original bolts. Then torqued it up.

Have fun, actually this job is much easier than it sounds.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 641D 3pt Lift Cover rebuild Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i think you will be fine.

ove rthe years I've rebuilt many N lift covers,a nd had helped rebuild a couple 00 series.. but had never puleld an 00 series as of ? i dunno.. 06 maybee.. didn't know if there were any tricks like the back pressure valve on a naa.. etc. got the same good advice you just got.. 'dive in'

it really is no big deal. the pulling is the easiest part.. and the rest is just figidity orings and getting it all back together with no leftover parts.. :)

ps.. the lil option cover has a couple bolts that go thru the top cover..

awhtx
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 641D 3pt Lift Cover rebuild Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Steve,
I'll be home Thursday-Sunday. Send me an e-mail.
Alan

TX641D
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 641D 3pt Lift Cover rebuild Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks. I need you to resend me your email address. send to steve.loop@verizon.net or text it to 210-287-5667.

TX641D
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 641D 3pt Lift Cover rebuild Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Nuday tool No. N-508-A

What do I do, if I don't have this tool? It says this is required to remove the control valve bushing. Also, the FO-20 Manual says "an impact puller adapter" can be threaded into the unloading valve plug to remove it. Is that the same tool as the Nuday tool above, or different? If different, where do I get one of those?

Kurt-NEPA
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 641D 3pt Lift Cover rebuild Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Gotta love those Nuday tools that nobody has anymore.

The control valve will come out easily once you remove the plate. As to the bushing, I wouldn't go there.

For getting the unloader valve out - some people have been able to just tap it out with a long rod. There is a plug on one end. Put a rod in the other of the valve and tap. For me, that didn't work, so on to plan B. I got a fine thread bolt, some washers, and a bearing separator (any plate with a hole will work)

I just tightened the bolt and pulled the plug. I had to add washers under the plate several times to get the plug all the way out. Once the plug is out, the unloader valve will push out easily.

Caution on the control valve. Its a metal to metal seal. Do not use any abrasive on the bore or valve. Just pull it out and clean out any junk with some oil or brake clean.

awhtx
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 641D 3pt Lift Cover rebuild Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have rebuilt a couple of lift covers and I did not remove the control valve bushing. You only need to remove it if you are going to replace it. All I did was replace the o-ring and backup ring on the lift piston and the o-ring on the unloading valve. Then I adjusted the linkage per the I&T Manual.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.