Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cub Cadet 682

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kevin in MN
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: Cub Cadet 682 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a Cub Cadet 682 with a Kohler MT17 . Iíve been working on other issue but noticed every time I go to start it after sitting for a few days the tank is empty. So I put some gas in and it starts right up. I now see lots of blow by and the oil is over full. So obviously my fuel is ending up in the crank case. So would a bad fuel pulp do this? And If so how do I change it? All I see is 4 screws and it's beneath the intake. The pictures of new ones look like an automotive type where it bolts to the side of the bock.

Super Trucker
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Cub Cadet 682 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Check your float, needle and seat. If the float is cracked it will soak fuel and make it open the needle and flow fuel. needle could be bad or the seat.

joe csuti
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Cub Cadet 682 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As super trucker said it's probably the float or dirty/worn float needle or seat,allowing valve to leak when eng at rest,pump may also be leaking internally.

Drain tank,buy/install a fuel shutoff valve between tank & pump,for testing connect a pc of hose from valve to carb bypassing fuel pump,let set a few days(valve open) & see if tank still drains into crankcase,if it does,then problem in carb,if gas still in tank,then pump bad/leaking internally.

The lower half of pump body is a right angle casting with arm in it,there are 2 bolts on flange of casting that hold pump to block,you may have to remove flywheel cover or sheetmetal/plastic covers to see bolts,also goto link below & download a service/repair manual for your eng.

After you locate/repair source of leak,change oil & filter(if eng has)DO NOT operate eng the way it is with gas in oil,gas thins & destroys lube property of oil & you'll be looking for a new eng soon.

LEAVE shutoff valve installed in line & turn off after each use in case leak starts again.
kohler

Kevin in MN
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Cub Cadet 682 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had never bothered using the shut off valve before but I am now.

So basically it would be hard for the pump to leak into the engine. I'll check the carb, might as well do a rebuild. Any recommended carburetor kit vendors?

Cubpuller

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Cub Cadet 682 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It should be a KT17 not a MT17

R Bedell
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:33 am    Post subject: Re: Cub Cadet 682 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Kevin in MN:

You have (A) a bad fuel pump, (B) a carb float problem, or (C) BOTH.

shawmic
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Cub Cadet 682 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had the same problem with my John Deere lawn tractor so I put a small plastic shut-off on the fuel line before the carb and it solved the problem. No more empty fuel tank when left standing for a few days. Less than a $5 fix!

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Garden Tractors All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.