Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OT: Adobe acrobat ???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wile E
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: OT: Adobe acrobat ??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Every week or so I get a notice from Adobe on my computer saying "upgrade your Adobe Acrobat" Click install....Blah, Blah.
Do these yahoos at Adobe really upgrade their software every week?
Do I really need to upgrade this? I am not a computer Xpert.
Thanx.

Absent Minded Farmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: OT: Adobe acrobat ??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes, it's usually a good idea to keep up with the updates. The updates cover anything from new versions of Adobe to security issues. I think you can set Adobe to automatically update, but I don't play with the program enough to know. One of these fellows on the forum might though.

Mike

SweetFeet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: OT: Adobe acrobat ??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Wile,

I never update from a pop-ups. The safest way to do it is via your START > ALL PROGRAMS. Then open your Adobe (probably Reader... the free version), click on HELP and then click on CHECK FOR UPDATES. *I just checked mine and it is Adobe Reader X (10.1.3) and says no updates available. So if your version is 9.something - you need to update.

MarkB_MI
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: OT: Adobe acrobat ??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

They are typically security patches, and yes, you should install them.

XRogerX
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: OT: Adobe acrobat ??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I downloaded and use Foxit Reader, as I was getting sick and tired of how long it used to take Acrobat to fire up.

Mark - IN.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: OT: Adobe acrobat ??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You have to be careful. Some PDFs don't play well with newer versions of Acrobat Reader, and when you go to Adobe and tell them about it, their tech support will blame it on the PDF provider of the PDF that was working UNTIL you updated on the advice of Adobe. That's not uncommon at all, you can do a Google search saying something like "PDFs quit working after updating Adobe Reader", which by the way became Adobe Reader a few years ago. And that should be a warning to you. I have a ton of PDFs that were "Adobe Acrobat Reader" that became "Adobe Reader", and...poof, no workie any moreski after updatedski. What I found that corrects some of that, and posted at an Adobe user site that actually had Adobe tech support staff blowing off and blaming their users, really making them pretty mad, is that if you get a certificate error, or something like that as I recall, and says that Adobe must close, go to Start>Programs and then hold the left Shift key as you open it, and then go to Edit, then Prefernces, then look for something...........I can't think, and this computer is running Reader 7.0, but on newer versions, you need to check something that says something about using only valid plugins or plugins with certificates, something like that. I would know it if I saw it.

Anyway, be careful. Newer versions of Adobe Reader do not like older PDFs, or vica versa. And obviously newer PDFs don't open using older versions of Acrobat Reader.

One of these days, I'm going to break down, by a MAC, and tell Bill Gates where to go. As it is, I'm still using XP because I can take or tolerate Seven for about seven seconds, tops. When my XP goes away, or stuff can't be run on it and I absolutely have to upgrade, MAC here I come. I've even screwed with Ubuntu and have a hard drive of that lying around somewhere, and will go to that before I upgrade to Seven again. Just touching Seven gets me up on neighbors roofs tearing off shingles and throwing them at them as they try to come out the door. And when the cops come? They get shingles tossed at them too, until they taze me and lock me up in Windows Seven land, and trust me, that is never fun.

Good luck.

Mark

dave2
Tractor Guru

Location: Kutzberg, Germany 1972 IHC 423 (German). 2.5 Liter 3cyl direct injection diesel 42HP

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: OT: Adobe acrobat ??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Gotta be careful (can never be too careful) when it comes to that stuff... If you get the email fine. But google (or whatever) the root (adobe, etc) and do it from the official site. Could save you picking up a virus, trojan horse, etc. from joe blow hacker...

Goose
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: OT: Adobe acrobat ??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mostly they're homed in on your computer.

I've had Nuance PDF reader for a number of years, and uninstalled Adobe when I went with Nuance. I still get those same pop-ups about updating Adobe.

Nuance was free, has been flawless, and doesn't bug you to update all the time. Just sits there and does what it's supposed to when I need it.

OH - 961
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: OT: Adobe acrobat ??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Wile E wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:02:35 07/10/12) Every week or so I get a notice from Adobe on my computer saying "upgrade your Adobe Acrobat" Click install....Blah, Blah.
Do these yahoos at Adobe really upgrade their software every week?
Do I really need to upgrade this? I am not a computer Xpert.
Thanx.

I know that I'm bringing up a rather old thread, but I will NOT allow any of Adobe's junk on my computer. It takes up a lot of space and is a resource hog to run, not to mention the constant nags as noted above.

For several years, I have used a program called PDF Exchange Viewer from Tracker Software. Problem solved!

Myron

Forgot to mention is is freeware that doesn't nag you to buy it.

Last edited by OH - 961 on Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.