Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need to move John Deere A clutch from right to left side

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hintocw
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Need to move John Deere A clutch from right to left side Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Somebody out there please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the clutch (I assume you're talking about the clutch lever) can be moved.

Bob M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Need to move John Deere A clutch from right to left side Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ray - Ask around for a good mechanic or welder/fabricator. Should be a straight forward job to mount a cross shaft and linkage to reposition the clutch handle to the left side.

While you are at it you might want to have him make a new clutch lever perhaps 6" or so longer than original to lessen the effort required to snap the clutch in/out.

Last edited by Bob M on Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
jackinok
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Need to move John Deere A clutch from right to left side Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i aggree with Bob ,shouldnt be a huge problem.i saw a case once used by a guy who had lost a arm.On his he simply took a u type channel that fit around his clutch lever,and welded a rod on it that was sort of a L shape and reached over to other side.he didnt even bother removing or cutting the original lever,since his boys used it.you might do something of the sort on yours,if it wouldnt hit somewhere,might have to bend it around the steering pedestal.

WeirdDeere
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:20 am    Post subject: Re: Need to move John Deere A clutch from right to left side Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This might not work....but could you just weld another clutch lever to your current one so that it extends to the left? Think of a Y shape.

Photobucket

Similar to this? Makes left handed operation pretty easy.

Brandon

greygoat
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: Need to move John Deere A clutch from right to left side Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I moved the hand clutch lever of a Case DC to
the other side. Mine had a shaft sticking out
both sides. I just loosened set screws, pulled
off the lever, moved to the other side. Are all
DC's like that? I've never looked-don't know!

RayAtLost ShoeRanch
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Need to move John Deere A clutch from right to left side Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think mine doesn't, but I'll take a closer look. Thanks!

RayAtLost ShoeRanch
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Need to move John Deere A clutch from right to left side Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Great idea. i'll take a look at mine and see if that's an option. Thanks!

RayAtLost ShoeRanch
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Need to move John Deere A clutch from right to left side Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'll look into that...great idea. Thanks!

RayAtLost ShoeRanch
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Need to move John Deere A clutch from right to left side Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Great idea. I'll look into it. Thanks!

Meangreen
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Need to move John Deere A clutch from right to left side Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My first A had the lever lengthened and it was pretty slick, so my dad and I did the same thing on my B. I have noticed on the B with new cluch plates that it can sometimes be a little hard to get the clutch to disengage with the longer lever. I think the longer lever tends to bend a bit more than the original length one. I like to plow and stuff, so I probably run my clutch a little tight. I"m 6"6" so that"s why I like the longer lever.

My only question with the "V" add on is will the pedestal or dash get in the way?

Bob M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Need to move John Deere A clutch from right to left side Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We have a couple A's we use to pull hayride wagons at a friend's Christmas tree farm. The older one (a '47) has a short clutch lever; the other (a '53) has lever about 6" - 8" longer.

I much prefer the longer one. It requires much less force to snap in/out. It's also easier to modulate for smooth starts, and is easier to operate while standing up.

Dan in North Houston
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Need to move John Deere A clutch from right to left side Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There was a post on here a few months ago talking about the 2 cylinder models that were made in Argentina for years after production ceased here. Somebody either made a foot clutch kit or perhaps it was manufactured like that. Do a google search deere 730 foot clutch and one of the results should be a youtube video that shows one.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Restoration and Repair Tips All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.