Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'48 Z brake pedals?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeff in ND
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: '48 Z brake pedals? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My late father had a 1948 Z universal that has been in the family since new. Last week I was on the farm in MN cleaning up junk and managed to find a lot of the original parts for the tractor. Dad never tossed anything but sometimes it got converted to other uses.... Got the tractor running after about 2yrs. Found all the original seat parts and 1 side of the cutout louvered engine panels. Was cut out sometime in the 50s I think. Probably the other one was used up to patch stuff over the years. Anyway. On other Z's like this one I have seen a 3rd brake pedal on the right side that operates both brakes. The original parts manual I have shows this pedal with a shaft and some other pieces.

The tractor does not have this pedal. I don't remember it ever having it, but there is 20yrs of history before that. Was this an option or has it been removed?

t,r,k,.

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: '48 Z brake pedals? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't know whether your tractor had the third brake or not.

The '38 ZTU I have didn't have one when I got it in 1993. My cousin has a '40 ZTS that has the pedal. I always wondered if the pedal would work with the pto power lift mounted on the tractor or if there would be a clearance problem.

It could have been removed for some reason in the last 70 years or so.

Jerry Grant
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: '48 Z brake pedals? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My 46 has the 3rd brake peddle. I have not seen very many Zs but I have never seen one without the 3rd peddle. They are not very convenient to use since they are vertical. Maybe someone took it off of.

Jeff in ND
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: '48 Z brake pedals? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks.

Somehow I think I remember seeing parts of the pedal in the junk pile on the farm but much of that pile was cleaned up in the 1980s. I recently did additional cleanup and did not find it. Probably was removed along with other modifications done in the 50s.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Minneapolis Moline All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.