Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best kind of oil??

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
A DeWitt
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Best kind of oil?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just wondering if there is anyone out there running something other then 30 wt non detergent oil, I was thinking about maybe 15w40? The tractor is a 1948 Massey Harris 22

JRSutton
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Best kind of oil?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Unless the engine has recently been rebuilt, I wouldn't hesitate to go to 40, especially during the warmer months.

It should give you better compression and coat worn parts better - and increase oil pressure if your pump is getting worn.

A DeWitt
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Best kind of oil?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So switching from 30 wt to the 15w40 should help the engine then? I just wasn't sure about going from non detergent oil to regular detergent oil.

greygoat
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: Best kind of oil?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Use Non-Detergent if you want sludge in your
engine !

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Best kind of oil?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Another one of those myths that say if you run non-detergent oil you can not switch or it will clog things up. Ya it may break a bit of it down but the filter will catch it and be goner in one or 2 oil changes

ASEguy
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Best kind of oil?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Run detergent oil. The weight depends on the temperature where you are and the oil pressure of the engine. Most engine wear occurs at start-up so a multigrade would be fine.

El Toro
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Best kind of oil?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use 30wt detergent oil in all my garden tractors and mowers. My garden tractor is 42 years old and the engine has never been rebuilt. It's used hard when plowing the garden Spring and Fall. Hal

rustyfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Best kind of oil?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A DeWitt wrote:
(quoted from post at 16:06:22 07/16/12) Just wondering if there is anyone out there running something other then 30 wt non detergent oil, I was thinking about maybe 15w40? The tractor is a 1948 Massey Harris 22

Very few, if any, folks still use the non-detergent 30 weight. 15w-40 seems to be the motor oil of choice anymore.

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Best kind of oil?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Nope, 15w-40 in everything.

Dean Olson
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Best kind of oil?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I run Chevron Delo 15w-40 in everything . Grandad ran it, dad ran it, I run it.

I believe the myth that going from non detergent oil to detergent oil creating ANY problem is an old wives tale. This opinion is based on 3 generations working and playing with old tractors.

A DeWitt
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Best kind of oil?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I changed the oil and filter last night, I went with 15w40 and Lucas oil stabilizer. Oil psi is higher then it's ever been, thanks for all the great advice. Alex

Jerry/MT
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Best kind of oil?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A lot depends on the temperatures you operate at. I live in Western Montana and we have three tractors, two diesels and a gasser. I tried using 15W40 in the gasser(only oneS AE Grade oil to buy for ag equipment and diesel pick up then) and I noted it was harder to turnover in the winter months so I went back to using 10W40 in it.if you live in a mild climate and use your tractor in the winter 15W40 will work for you.

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Best kind of oil?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Can't go wrong with Shell Rotella T1 straight weight. There are some things a monoweight can do that a multi-weight can't.

WGM
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Best kind of oil?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Only a fool would use non detergent oil in anything.

Howard H.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Best kind of oil?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I sure wouldn't agree with that statement.

Plenty of applications have guidelines that recommend a non-detergent oil, like air compressor pumps, lathe gearboxes, some hydraulic apps, etc...

A ton of manufacturers put out a lot of different kinds of non-detergent oil...

Howard
For example

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Restoration and Repair Tips All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.