Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fordson M ajor 4 cylinder diesel around 1960

View previous topic :: View next topic  
m.a.aitken
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Fordson M ajor 4 cylinder diesel around 1960 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

have just assembled this motor which has a Simms injector =wont start - plenty of fuel getting there = how does one time the
injectors ? Is it possible to get them 180 degrees out? Cheers Mervyn

tiresntracks
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Fordson M ajor 4 cylinder diesel around 1960 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes. Its easy to get the injector pump 180 out of time when you put the two halves of the drive coupler together.
To check, line the timing marks up on the flywheel then look at the clamp bolt on the coupler. If its on the bottom, its right. If its on the top, its 180 out.

Robert Major
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Fordson M ajor 4 cylinder diesel around 1960 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi Guys
The bolt will only tell you if the motor is timed fairly right. it is still possible to get the injection pump 180 out as the bolt is on the motor side coupling.

There should be a tin plate on the pump with a lug pointing over the pump drive dog. it should have a line stamped on it. then on the pump half drive dog there should be a line too it can be hard to see if its covered in paint or crap. find the 2 marks line them up set the motor on its degrees with fly wheel numbers before top dead on no 1 compression, and install pump.

it could be the plate on the pump is missing or there are 50 marks on the pump drive dog if the monkeys have played with it in the past from what i see some times.
Regards Robert

Mike Farmer
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Fordson M ajor 4 cylinder diesel around 1960 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Would you like me to email you the timing procedure?? Mike

tiresntracks
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Fordson M ajor 4 cylinder diesel around 1960 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I left out 4 words. Line the timing marks up on the flywheel AND THE INJECTOR PUMP.

If you do that, the position of the clamp bolt will tell you if the timing is 180 out, which is what you asked.

tiresntracks
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Fordson M ajor 4 cylinder diesel around 1960 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Robert, I just re-read your post. The timing cant be 180 out if the clamp bolt is on the bottom. It can be a few degrees off because of the slots in the coupler, but not 180.
The position of that clamp bolt is just an easy way to tell what position the cam is in. If the clamp bolt is on the bottom, the cam has both valves closed on no. 1 cylinder and its on the compression stroke. If the clamp bolt is on the top the cam has the exhaust valve open and its on the exhaust stroke.

Robert Major
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Fordson M ajor 4 cylinder diesel around 1960 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My point is the fuel pump can be half a turn out on the pegs if the guy doesnt have the marks on the pump and coupling lined up. the two marks on the pump should be lined up at the front as you look at the pump on the motor. if he has the coupling timing mark at the back it will be 180 degrees out. motor timed on no 1 cyl acording to fly wheel and pump could be set to inject no 3 cylinder if my thinking is correct. the coupling will fit together in 2 places is what im trying to say.
Regards Robert

tiresntracks
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Fordson M ajor 4 cylinder diesel around 1960 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I see what you're saying. If you can't see the marks on the coupler and the pump, you could still be 180 out with the pinch bolt on the bottom.
I think there's a reason that we're mechanics and not teachers!

Robert Major
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Fordson M ajor 4 cylinder diesel around 1960 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

no problem I have many majors here in my collection and worked on or sold many more so really didnt want to argue with ya about this Smile.

I find its easier to go in the shop and do it than try explaining it to a guy on here and ya cant see what he's working with.

I work on so much stuff that the monkeys have played with before the new owner tries to get it right and it makes hard work of it, especialy when it had one problem messed with and caused 49 more problems and still didnt fix the original fault and no body knows what that was when i get to look at it Sad lol.
hope ya Have a good one:)
regards Robert

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Fordson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.